Matt or Gloss?

Overread

hmm I recognise this place! And some of you!
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
www.deviantart.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Trying to work out which is the best type of print to order - matt or gloss. So far gloss to me suffers from "sticky fingers" whilst gloss doesn't, which suggests that matt is the way to go for something that won't be in a frame or album.
However are there any other points to consider - does one show details better than the other? And also does print size have an effect - is it better to have one type at a larger (say A3 poster) size and the other at smaller (a4 ish) sizes?
I do gather that there is an aspect of personal preference to this, but still which ones are people choosing and why?

I personally like a good matte paper over glossy for a lot of things, but I think that 4x6 prints that get passed around or put in a cheap album can look pretty good in gloss.

I really like what some labs call 'Luster' paper. It's sort of like a cross between matte & glossy.

With gloss paper I don’t like the polished look that you sometimes get with white, light tones/colors and blow out areas, it can be especially bad with B&W[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

Lustre or pearl if it's from a 1 hour joint, if I'm printing myself, I like Hahnemuhle Photo Rag.

Matte 100%. I don't like seeing a reflection of my ugly mug when I'm trying to look at a photograph, and I don't like greasy fingermarks!

If someone hands me a stack of 4x6 photos to look at that are on glossy paper, just about every time I find myself having to move or turn the photos in my hand in a way that the lights aren't reflecting on the gloss print.

I prefer matte.

That is just for looking at a photo that someone hands me. As for something hanging on the wall, I don't know. It is stationary and I guess it would be dependant on how the room's lights reflect on it compared to where you would normally stand to view it.

Boah, paper is a long conversation.

GLOSSY for the grandparents and in-laws (all the non-creative work) because it has higher contrast and and represents saturation better.

Glossy will also work for HDR shots that are printed and alu-mounted behind the C-Bond plexiglass that is really popular. A great Hannukah gift idea.

There are a number of Hahnemühle papers, but I prefer their Satin for my creative work. Enough gloss to bring out contrast, and the shine to give it a silver sense under the whites, but a matte feeling to finish off the dark tones.

For highly matte papers, try Hahnemühle's Bamboo rag, but do a test print. The paper absorbs the ink a little deeply, which plays hell on your sharpening.

The few that I've had printed were done on Matte over Glossy as I prefer the non reflective look

Lustre for most, matte for some and recently, metallic for the absolutely insane high contrast HDR and BW shots. :) Next month I try canvas again. Basically, whatever I think the shot would look best to me on.

Matte all the time. I think the look of the pictures looks better when it's not shining in my face.

~Michael~

Most reactions

New Topics

Back