maturity levels and other forums

manda

instigator of pottymouthedness
Reaction score
Website
www.lyptonvillage.org
so this other forum i post at can be very "high school"at times. the ages of people there do start in the teens and pretty much hover in the 20s.

tonight i discovered a 10 page thread asking which chick frm the forum is the "hottest". strangely i was included in the list(this is a forum with 13000 members) and people then wrote about who was hotter than who.
i didnt reply to the thread because i found it kinda offensive myself.

its really pissed me off and i dont know why. im having a mood tonight, so maybe im just being overly sensitive. yes?

Nah, I don't think you're being overly sensitive. That high school type BS gets old. That's one reason why I really like it here. Another forum I go to is ALL politics in the OT forum. That's just about as tedious as high school crap.

manda said:
tonight i discovered a 10 page thread asking which chick frm the forum is the "hottest". strangely i was included in the list(this is a forum with 13000 members) and people then wrote about who was hotter than who.

And we don't have any of that here? Any thread with self protraits or "mug shots" is rife with oohs and ahhs, and cat calls, and ogling. I'm not dissing this forum, or anyone on it, but it does go on here too. In general though, this forum is pretty mature, and one of the best I've ever seen in terms of friendly discussion and helpful advice, etc...

I think the key in that thread that manda mentioned is the "people then wrote about who was hotter than who" part. Yeah we post our self portraits here and congratulate each other on our hotness, but there's none of that 'hey so-and-so is hotter than so-and-so'.

She stumbled across a lengthy thread where she was mentioned on a "hottie list" without notice. That's quite different from a thread asking for mug shots, where you can post or not post and of course there is teasing and hubba-hubba stuff going on. There is a difference between camaraderie of this type and a meat market mentality, however. The latter degrades the members, and that is why she found it offensive - aside from being juvenile in presentation.

Digital Matt said:
manda said:

And we don't have any of that here? Any thread with self protraits or "mug shots" is rife with oohs and ahhs, and cat calls, and ogling. I'm not dissing this forum, or anyone on it, but it does go on here too. In general though, this forum is pretty mature, and one of the best I've ever seen in terms of friendly discussion and helpful advice, etc...
Apples and oranges. People being nice and commenting on someone's good looks is not the same as asking who is the hottest.

there's a section of the site that i moderate on that's FULL of threads like those. who's hotter, who do you have a crush on, who's the meanest/nicest... even who is the ugliest. and the newest incarnation are the "KFM" threads where people are supposed to list the members they would kill, f*ck or marry. :no smile:

luckily, you can avoid such things by staying out of that particular forum and sticking to the others.

oriecat said:
carlita said:
even who is the ugliest. and the newest incarnation are the "KFM" threads where people are supposed to list the members they would kill, f*ck or marry. :no smile:

Man, what is wrong with people... :x :roll:

They're immature. Welcome to my world--I see and hear this stuff in the hallways of our middle school constantly.

manda said:
so this other forum i post at can be very "high school"at times. the ages of people there do start in the teens and pretty much hover in the 20s.

i didnt reply to the thread because i found it kinda offensive myself.

its really pissed me off and i dont know why. im having a mood tonight, so maybe im just being overly sensitive. yes?

Gives people my age a bad name....in all fairness I may say to other girls *shes nice* perhpaps, but when I say...shes nice, I mean the face, the eyes, the personality.
I still think what they done is wrong, and Im not sure if im "Highschool" kid.,..but I assure you guys, we aint all like that :) Just have some....*bleep* heads who are just nasty :(

Oh come on! Everyone knows that Manda is the hottest chica on the forum. ;)

Seriously, I'd just ignore it. Some people just never grow up. :roll:

Have to jump in here. I know I shouldn't but ...

I'm constantly reminded by co-workers that "it's a different generation". I am 54 so yes, it's a different generation. But sometimes I think that is used to empower the speaker to not do anything, or say anything and the like.

"It's a different generation" is a buzz phrase to say hands off and to make EXCUSES for bad behaviour, lack of common sense and decency.

One day I was driving and came upon a cross walk and two young men (from the different generation) just stepped out, bold and smart. I addressed both young men asking why they didn't look both ways. In a smart alek sass, full of expletives, they told me I was supposed to stop for them.

So the fatefull question is: Who has the right-away in a pedistrian crosswalk?

Answer: The pedestrian.

Question: Does that absolve the pedestrian of looking both ways before crossing?

Answer: No.

One day maybe someone will write on their tombstone "I had the right of way."

Most reactions

Back