its the LAW of gravity, the RULE of thirds btw

Antithesis

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.epanderson.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
see, alpha told me it wasn't blown out... this is part of the problem. and why would you throw a picture like this away? it is a beautiful picture, just because it doesn't follow the "rules" doesn't mean the memory should be lost forever...

If it were a photo of my own children and the only one like it, I would keep it. I was being a bit harsh and pointing out the problems with it in hopes that I could help you learn. I am pretty stuck in the "rules", and during critiques in photography classes, I'm always pointing out stupid, formal composition rules (lines converging in a corner, limbs being cut off in environmental portraits, etc.).

However, I work in a studio, sorting through thousands of images every day, and then putting the final touches on the ones that make it through. If an image was this over exposed, it would have seen the delete button and nothing more. There are many things that I could point out that are good and proper about the composition of the image, but I tend to look at exposure pretty much first and foremost... unless loss of detail is intentional, which it just might be. Proper exposure is usually pretty critical to the finished product, and with digital, there is a fairly large amount of latitude in the definition of "proper exposure". Unfortunately, you seem to have jumped slightly outside that definition.

bblaine

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Photos OK to edit
The image is horribly blown out. I'm sorry, but you need to learn to work with your meter a little better and think about burning and dodging in post, or at least just darken the faces a little bit more to try and bring those highlights back in your initial exposure. It's not meant to be a snide comment, but I'm just being honest. I would have thrown this image away because it's likely you lost all detail in the highlights.

by the way the picture was taken with a p&s before i even knew what metering was...

Emerana

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Photos OK to edit
Blaine, dont be overly defensive. Yes, it stings when someone points out flaws in a photo you love, but if you take it in and learn from that, you will get better. Isnt that what we all want? To improve? Sometimes it stings (I know, I have been there!). But you got to put yourself out there and try to learn from people who have been doing it longer. Its a gift!

bblaine

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Photos OK to edit
Blaine, dont be overly defensive. Yes, it stings when someone points out flaws in a photo you love, but if you take it in and learn from that, you will get better. Isnt that what we all want? To improve? Sometimes it stings (I know, I have been there!). But you got to put yourself out there and try to learn from people who have been doing it longer. Its a gift!

oh no! i am not hurt at all. i was just pointing out the difference in opinion between even the big guys on this site. believe me i know this shot is not the best. this was my second day practicing with a new p&s camera when i decided i wanted to get into photography. i am ok with any constructive criticism.

bblaine

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Photos OK to edit
i was, however, offended by the whole throwing it out because it was "blown out"

Emerana

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Photos OK to edit
Well you shouldnt be. I have plenty of incorrect photos of my kids I love. Some I love because of their incorrect exposure
i.e. one from my first post here ever
newlens099.jpg

It reminds me of what he looks like then I hold him in my arms in our special cuddle time before bed. But I am glad that someone pointed out to me that it isnt the greatest photos in the world. Otherwise I would be showing it off to people who dont get to experience our cuddle time.

Throw it out means something though. No dont toss it, add it to your kids baby books. its special to you. but dont use it for your skilled body of work. Close just isnt good enough. Put your very best out there. When you get better, take your old best and replace it with your new best.

LaFoto

Just Corinna in real life
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Photos NOT OK to edit
i was, however, offended by the whole throwing it out because it was "blown out"

When would anyone get the same position, same putting their feet onto the sand (mostly the right), same holding their right hand, almost same holding their left, same gaze into the right hand, all reflected as shadow in the sand of two toddlers on the beach ONCE again. Ever?

Skip any technical aspects -> this photo is so unique that it should never be "binned". The thought to do so should not even come as a passing one...

See. There's more in photos than their technical aspect.
Myself I tend to watch for technical aspects a lot in my own work.
But this is a wonderful example of a photo where - in order to capture this very fleeting scene - technical matters were either not considered because the photographer had to be quick, or blown highlights were well taken into account so that the two children would show as correctly exposed.

King Mango

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Photos OK to edit
bblaine I started to do some layer masking on that for some correction and it appears that there has been a feathered lasso edit on the posted imgage. When I bring down the sand layer I get a halo around the kids.
I can probably fix this aside from that. Although I'll let you fine tune the hair mask :D
Maybe post this one in the PS Challenge forum and see what people can turn out.

bblaine

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Photos OK to edit
hey king, there is a reason for all that... the original picture was way off center and in order for it to be cropped correctly i had to add canvas to the left side and do some cloning and other stuff... blah... still not sure what i am doing in photoshop. but thanks for any effort you put into it! i am grateful!

jvgig

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Photos OK to edit
I have just been thinking: how often do we realize, or care, that there is an actual person on the other end of these posts. Personally, I realize that there are people, but more often than not, posts are owned by an avatar or a few letter long id. Some combinations of symbols or images carry more weight than others. Many times I do not think that what I am typing will be seen by another human being, but only by an object, in this case a computerized response system. So what I am trying to get at is that you should not take anything said on the forums personally. Sure it may sting for a moment, but remember, most likely kittylover555 only sees you as a picture of a dog.

King Mango

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Photos OK to edit
hey king, there is a reason for all that... the original picture was way off center and in order for it to be cropped correctly i had to add canvas to the left side and do some cloning and other stuff... blah... still not sure what i am doing in photoshop. but thanks for any effort you put into it! i am grateful!
yw. I thought it was a great pic. With both kids in virtually the same pose.

Rhubarb

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Photos OK to edit
I don't mean to single anyone out here, but as most people who begin a sentence with those words, I am going to do just that...

....there is a fairly large amount of latitude in the definition of "proper exposure". Unfortunately, you seem to have jumped slightly outside that definition.

Antithesis could you please definer "proper" or correct exposure for me.

Some I love because of their incorrect exposure

And Emerana if you could please define incorrect exposure for me.

Please use as many words as you like. And, yes, there is a point to this exercise.

Most reactions

New Topics