May I please see the camera? Not as easy at it sounds!

Yvonne_Dubai

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I've been looking on the internet at cameras that I think I might like. So, yesterday I went to a few shops here to see if I could check some out and see what I think of these cameras in real life. I live in Dubai and usually service is great but sometimes things happen where you think "only in Dubai!".

I walked into a store and asked if they had the Nikon D7000. Let me write down the conversation: Hope you get a good laugh.

Me: Hi, do you have the Nikon D7000?
Clerk: Yes ma'am, we do. (stays put)
Me: May I please see it.
Clerk: Yes ma'am (goes and gets the camera)

Clerk comes back a little while later holding a box still wrapped in plastic and puts it on the counter in front of me.

Me: Can you please take it out of the box?
Clerk: No ma'am.
Me: Why not?
Clerk: because it's the only one I have
Me: So? I want to see it?
Clerk: If you're sure you want to buy it, I'll take it out of the box.
Me: No, I'm not sure I want to buy it, that's why I want to see it.

The clerk starts reading the specifications on the box: 16.9 megapixels, blah, blah blah
Me: Yes, I know all the specifications, but I would like to hold the camera, see the menu options, take some pictures, hold it in my hands.
Clerk: No problem ma'am, so you'll buy it if I take it out of the box?
Me: No, i didn't say that, I said I want to try it.
Clerk: Ma'am, it's a good camera, no need to try.

By this point I'm annoyed. And say: Forget it, I'll go somewhere else.
Clerk: Ma'am no problem, I'll take it out of the box. You pay first, then I take it out of the box and if you don't like it, you get your money back!!!

Do I look like a complete idiot??!!

Oh well, it made for a funny story :D Hope it made you smile.

Sadly these days there is a class of buyer who wants perfect boxed and plastic wrapped products off the shelf (to ensure that they are not returns)

And also the class of buyer who wants to see things before making a purchase from a shop

Sadly shops with limited stock can only cater to one type of these two classes of buyer.

I suppose that's true :) i did some more research and found that the camera + lenses are waaaaay cheaper in The Netherlands (home). Not only that, but because I'm a resident of the UAE I'm eligible for tax refunds. So, I'm going to buy it over summer in The Netherlands then take it back to Dubai and get a tax refund (19%). Much better :)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back