Mayday Mayday! She's DOWN! Help!

AliasPros

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Ok, so this morning I am shooting a wedding and before I run off I was setting up one of my XTI's for my brother to shoot today just for fun (he is invited to wedding as a guest). I charged the batteries for the grip, install them and flicked the switch to the on position and there is no response from the body! Nothing! In trouble shooting I check that the grip power switch was on, it was off! Easy fix right? NOPE! I switch it on then the camera and still nothing. Next I take off the grip, install the little trap door back on and go with one fully charged battery in the cam, still nothing... I am at a loss here. This camera is pretty straight forward. I don't see how anything is hindering it from firing up. I looked all around for a reset button, but didn't find one. I put the battery on charger again and it throws on the green charge light on the charger saying that it's fully charged. I also made sure that when I had the grip on that both batteries installed where fully charged. The camera has seen a lot of action however it has been maintained and cared for gently. No jolts no drops no moisture. Can she be broken? She worked fine for years untill she was shelved recently and all she did was sit for about 3 months in a little canon soft case. Does anyone have any more trouble shooting ideas, or should I send her out to canon for service? :( I am running out of time for my shoot today so I have to post and go...

4354216518_020a01b1d9_b.jpg

Why not shoot with one battery and conserve your shots.

Have you check the internal battery for the camera? There should be a bit in manual about that battery as well (its the one that keeps the cameras internal clock going and such). It could be that that has died out whilst the camera sat unused

Why not shoot with one battery and conserve your shots.

Does not work with one battery without the grip or two in the grip. The body doesn't respond period. I will look into the internal battery issue though. Thanks overread.

If you can pull it off walk into a camera store (in my area, Cord Camera is an example) and walk up to the guy behind the camera counter and act like you just picked this camera up at a thrift store and are confused why it wont turn on. explain the situation, and that you're a novice to SLRs and just wanted to see if you're missing something.

Typically people that work at these places have a solid if not vast knowledge of photography build over decades of experience (most around here tend to be older than not) and may have experienced a similar issue. they're typically helpful to novice users (if you can pull it off.. don't go talking about your 1d, 5d, and Lseries stockpiles; gotta take a hit to the pride here) looking for some advice.

I've gone into such stores with examples of photos I would have liked to capture differently and had hour long conversations in which they've shared years of experience to help get me on the right track. Good ones will constantly plug products to make your shots better, but not really being a complete novice you can filter these bits out.

Give it a shot, they may at least offer some suggestions/directions to proceed.

Why not just be honest about what you are when chatting?
I mean heck you might want to go back there and purchase something in the future ;)

Well sometimes when someone comes up to you and starts talking about all the gear they have etc. etc. you're put off to help them for the simple point that: hell, if they've got that much money to spend on this gear then pay whatever amount for a diagnostics.

I was trying to offer some advice that has a better chance or working and he may get lucky with some free advice from the salesman.. who may very well also be a technician. As I said individuals that approach with a certain level of arrogance can be off-putting.

Why does he have to mention all of his gear? I know when I go for help I don't tell them everything I own and then ask for help that has nothing to do with me need HELP. It would be easier just to go ask for help and explain how he has tried everything in his knowledge but can't get the camera to work.

I fully agree - and in my experience these days if you are lucky enough to get a shop assistant who is more than just sales staff (ie they the staffer actualy knows more about cameras than "More MP is better!") then showing that you have an understanding of what is in question is likley to form a better conversation than trying to act like you don't know a thing.

Besides as I said why start a relationship on a lie - start it on the truth shopkeepers like people who are likley to spend serious money in their store.

Most reactions

Back