480sparky

Chief Free Electron Relocator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
pixels.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I remember walking into a Radio Shack years ago with a cordless phone orphaned from it's charger. I was in search of a replacement, and to my surprise, there was a 'kit' of various pieces at the store where one could measure the OD, and then the ID, of your known barrel (aka coaxial) connector, as shown here:

350px-Hohlstecker_und_Hohlbuchse_5%2C5x2%2C5.jpg

I know I can simply use a micrometer to measure the outside diameter of the male end, but accurately measuring the inside diameter is a bit trickier. And measuring the female plug itself is an exercise in frustration.

Anyone know of where I can find a similar 'kit' of various-sized parts to measure all my oddball barrel connectors?

Um............. I'm looking to measure one I already have..... not buy more of them.
They are all marked for size. Look at them at a store and see which one matches yours.

Most stores will frown very heavily on a person opening up one of those sonically-heated clamshells (the ones that take a chainsaw to open) just to size the connector.

Um............. I'm looking to measure one I already have..... not buy more of them.
They are all marked for size. Look at them at a store and see which one matches yours.

Most stores will frown very heavily on a person opening up one of those sonically-heated clamshells (the ones that take a chainsaw to open) just to size the connector.

Dude--that's what an X-Acto knife is for!!!! No need for that bulky chainsaw, nor even those husky poultry shears! Smuggle your handy dandy X-Acto knife into the store, discretely slit open the clamshell package with your X-Acto knife, measure against the plug you own thats got the size in question, then slip the original merch back in through the X-Acto knife slit that you just so unethically had cut in the clamshell packaging, then casually slinky away and head to the cellphone section, or the index cards and bubble wrap section Easy-peasy!. Ahhhh...noobs!

Search through hobby / RC Model supplies - there are probably some round plastic rods of various mm diameters. Otherwise, maybe a little slab of polymer clay and push the jack into it far enough to get an impression, then micrometer the clay (negative so it will be a protrusion)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back