medium format development

panocho

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
how easy is to find a lab that develops 120 film?

I'm starting now with medium format, but have no idea about how normal or rare is to find a lab that develops the film (and how expensive, as well). Is it something that only a few professional labs will do, charging a considerable amount of money, or rather most labs will do it, more cheapish?

Sorry for my childish ignorant questions, but so far I have been aaaalways shoting just 35mm (can't wait to start playing with medium format, though! -hope soon I can start developing as well!)

Any proffesional lab will process it, (not walgreens sav-on wal-mart etc.) it isnt to expensive at all, I get mine done for $7 or so. I process all my b&w stuff myself so that is almost free. good luck in the medium format world...It is awesome.

It's around $10 for 120 C41 develop and a set of prints at my local pro lab.

The cameras are usually bigger, but to me roll film is roll film. If anything, I find handling the larger 120 film in the darkroom to be easier than 35mm.

ksmattfish said:
The cameras are usually bigger, but to me roll film is roll film. If anything, I find handling the larger 120 film in the darkroom to be easier than 35mm.

I agree. I use plastic reels and just push it on.

Im just wondering, what medium format gear are you guys shooting on?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksmattfish

I agree. I use plastic reels and just push it on.

The only problem i have is that there aren't any notches on the 120 film.

....granted half the time the notches get in the way more than they help..... boy do I love those old fashioned metal reels

tr0gd0o0r said:

....granted half the time the notches get in the way more than they help..... boy do I love those old fashioned metal reels

You had to out do me with your metal reel savvy, didnt you trog?

cant you load 2 rolls of 120 on 1 metal reel?

DIRT said:
I agree with you mountain.... Medium format is the BEST isnt it? a bit of a Hassle (where the camera gets its name mabey?) but once you get used to it it is Butter.

And on top of that it costs you a Blad-y fortune as well! (couldn't resist!):mrgreen:

tr0gd0o0r said:

Notches? I don't know what you guys are talking about? Like film ID notches? I use metal reels. 120 goes on like butter, unless the reel is bent.

what medium format gear are you guys shooting on?

I use an Ansco Titan 6x6 folder for my carry around point-n-shoot. I've never used it for client work, but it does a fantastic job for the family album.

My favorite all around camera is my Rolleiflex 3.5E planar. I use it when I need accurate focusing (the Titan has no focus assist), but still want compact size, and hand holdability. The downside is it only has a 75mm lens.

When I don't mind carrying a big kit, or I need different focal lengths I use a Pentax 67II or a Hasselblad 500c/m.

I use a Norita 6x6 SLR as my beater. It's ugly, built like a tank, fairly inexpensive, and the 80mm lens is f/2, which is great for low light photography in bars and at shows.

ksmattfish said:
I use an Ansco Titan 6x6 folder for my carry around point-n-shoot. I've never used it for client work, but it does a fantastic job for the family album.

My favorite all around camera is my Rolleiflex 3.5E planar. I use it when I need accurate focusing (the Titan has no focus assist), but still want compact size, and hand holdability. The downside is it only has a 75mm lens.

When I don't mind carrying a big kit, or I need different focal lengths I use a Pentax 67II or a Hasselblad 500c/m.

I use a Norita 6x6 SLR as my beater. It's ugly, built like a tank, fairly inexpensive, and the 80mm lens is f/2, which is great for low light photography in bars and at shows.

Show off. ;)

I have a Yashicamat 124G Ebay special.

ksmattfish said:
Notches? I don't know what you guys are talking about? Like film ID notches? I use metal reels. 120 goes on like butter, unless the reel is bent.

I think their talking sprocket holes. The plastic reels use the sprocket holes for moving the film through.

You can get two rolls on a plastic reel if you tape them together and feed through.

KevinR said:
ksmattfish said:

I think their talking sprocket holes.

Oh gotcha. Like Hewes 35mm SS reels with the sprocket hole prongs. Yeah, clips can be a pain in the butt.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back