Medium Format Film Newbie needs help/inspiration/ideas/stuff

Discussion in 'Medium Format & Large Format' started by Overread, Mar 22, 2019.

1. Derrel

Derrel Mr. Rain Cloud

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Some mighty pleasing scenes,Alan!I have significant, newfound respect for your photo skills!

2. AlanKlein

AlanKlein No longer a newbie, moving up!

Thanks.

3. Christie Photo

Christie Photo No longer a newbie, moving up!

Absolutely. And yes... like Jim says, it should be a good one, suitable for a camera of that size.

I used an RB for all my portraits from 1978 through the digital era. Quite literally thousands of portraits.

I never had a wide angle. If I had that 50mm, I'm sure I would have used the camera on a lot of commercial shoots.

Nearly EVERY time I tripped the shutter, I put the mirror up first. Doing this allowed me to engage my client eye-to-eye while holding the cable release.

I can count on one hand the number of times I shot hand-held with an RB.

You're gonna have a BUNCH of fun. Maybe look around for a Polaroid back while you get acquainted.

Have fun!
    -Pete

4. johnfreed0

johnfreed0 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    If I may add, I have a grip and a monopod. I use it to shoot in urban areas where the 4X5 is a bit much. It turns into performance art very quickly. The same seems to happen when I set up a tripod for any reason including steadying my digital (gasp!!!) camera. The monopod by itself tended to yaw side to side so I added the grip which steadied things down. I've been able to hold an 1/8 of a second without blur; I took four shots to be sure and two of them were good.

5. johnfreed0

johnfreed0 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit

It looks like we shop at the same place. I've got nearly the exact same rig. I bought it as the small camera to use when the Sinar F1 4X5 was overkill. This was especially true for urban photography where setting up the F1 attracts a crowd and, in some places, the police. I've been shooting mainly B&W for the last 60 years or so with few excursions into color. After the control you get in processing the whole image from the shutter to the matt, relying on some anonymous soul to create my art, such as it is, was not very palatable.

I assume from you post that you do not have a darkroom (few of us do anymore) so you'll have to rely upon someone to develop your film. After that, I would suggest that you buy a reasonably decent scanner and printer and do the prints yourself. My color shots are rare but those I do have I've scanned with a reasonable HP scanner and printed with a Canon PRO 100 printer. The results are better than what I used to get sending out for prints.

I've also used the 67 for landscape with pretty good results (I've been a bit spoiled shooting 4X5). It's a nice rig and does attempt to keep you from making common mistakes. This can cause some problems when one of the safety features is not just right and the camera will not let you take a shot. Aside from that and what I call Secor's disease (the shutter does not close while the mirror is in transit) it's been a good system. And as an added feature, the weight of the rig turns photography into an aerobic exercise.

Good luck with the 67.

jr

6. CarlH

CarlH TPF Supporters Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    I use AG Photographic in Birmingham for my film development and scanning, take about 4 working days.
    Results are excellent.

• Informative Informative x 1
  7. Vtec44

Vtec44 Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    You sell your film gear and convert to digital. :D

8. pendennis

pendennis No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit

If you decide to develop film, B&W is fairly easy, and not all that expensive. However, for color, either C41 (negatives) or E6 (slides), having them done commercially is the only way to go. The setups for color are fairly expensive, and very precise. Unless you're devoting a huge amount of volume, it's just not cost effective.

I shot with a RB67 for over twenty years, and it's just not much fun trying to hand hold it. A 6x4.5 camera or a 6x6 is much more hand-hold-friendly.

I shoot a RZ67, Hasselblad, Mamiyas, and a Bronica SQ-A. They provide a great deal of photographic pleasure, and a different art form than digital.