Medium Format Film Newbie needs help/inspiration/ideas/stuff

Overread

hmm I recognise this place! And some of you!
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
www.deviantart.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Ok so a longish while back in a moment of, what was likely madness, I bought myself a

Mamiya RB 67 Pro S
Remote release
3 film backs
Mamiya Sekor Macro 140mm f4.5
Mamiya Sekor Macro 50mm f4.5
Mamiya SekorC Macro 180mm f4.5
Mamiya SekorC Macro 90mm f3.8
Extension Tube 1 45mm
Extension Tube 2 82mm
A Wallet with a bunch of coloured filters (yellow, orange, blue, green, red)
A manual lightmeter

I've a bunch of Ektar 100 film bought at the same time (and not stored in any special way what so ever so could be iffy quality at best, but I'll likely use it first because that's what I've got and it might still be fine - or at least good enough to muck around with).

And I've got NO idea what to do with it! I mean I want to use it, but I've really not got a clue what do "do" with it in terms of what to take a darn photo of and it would seem a waste to take photos of random areas of my room/house (to say nothing of a waste of money paying for the film to be processed).

In fact on that latter score anyone in the UK know of a good place to get film developed and scanned? I did debate about getting a film scanner and washing/preparing film at home whenI got this ages ago ,but as I never followed through with using it I never followed through with getting a scanner so it will be off to "somewhere" to get the film developed for now.

Well, since you've got a macro lens and extension tubes, consider shots of flowers and other macro subjects. With those large negatives, you should get some great images - much better than 35mm. (However, if you don't have one, you'll probably need a good tripod.)

Enjoy!

It's relatively simple to find what to shoot. As with any camera, go out and look for something interesting to look at, then shoot it.

As for souping and scanning, you should be able to set yourself up with everything you need to do so, in-house, for $300 or less.

Macro on 120 is nowhere as easy as it is with focus-stacked, small-format digital systems...
How about a series taken BTS at an equestrian event ?
Ektar 100... fantastic stuff!

I will respond properly at some point when I am not typing with thumbs on a tiny phone screen, but for now, I am just here to cheer you on!
:boogie:

.. I've really not got a clue what do "do" with it in terms of what to take a darn photo of ..
Since my own main interest is in portraiture, that's what I would do with it. People, horses, people with their horses, dogs, doggie people, etc.

While it's true that a tripod isn't absolutely essential when using an RB, I can assure you, having used an RB for more than 15 years, a tripod sure makes like a hell of a lot easier. And yes, I've used a stone railing and a steel fence post as supports but you can't always find them when you need them. I've also used a monopod on occasion but a tripod saves a lot of wear and tear on arms and shoulders. Just don't buy a cheap tripod, you will end up replacing it anyway.

If not a tripod, at least use a grip.

Nice shooting iron, look forward to the results.

Whatever you decide to do with it, get a tripod. You'll need it to take pictures that aren't blurry. It's also lighter when it sits on a tripod. Good luck.
PS Here's what I do with my RB67.
Search: rb67 | Flickr

Some mighty pleasing scenes,Alan!I have significant, newfound respect for your photo skills!

However, if you don't have one, you'll probably need a good tripod.

Absolutely. And yes... like Jim says, it should be a good one, suitable for a camera of that size.

I used an RB for all my portraits from 1978 through the digital era. Quite literally thousands of portraits.

I never had a wide angle. If I had that 50mm, I'm sure I would have used the camera on a lot of commercial shoots.

Nearly EVERY time I tripped the shutter, I put the mirror up first. Doing this allowed me to engage my client eye-to-eye while holding the cable release.

I can count on one hand the number of times I shot hand-held with an RB.

You're gonna have a BUNCH of fun. Maybe look around for a Polaroid back while you get acquainted.

Have fun!
-Pete

Most reactions

New Topics

Back