Medium format film.

mboothby

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hey, mates. I'm new here, obviously. I'm also new to the world of medium format film. I have no idea where to start. Well, I suppose I do. I just bought myself a Holga from Lomography.com. Yum. I was wondering what brand of medium format film do you all recommend? Or, rather, are there any that produce a certain effect in a Holga?

Thanks for your time.

B&W or color? For B&W I have been using Arista 400 from Freestyle Photo. It is cheap and nice. According to some sources, the Arista film is just repackaged and cheaper Ilford. I have only tried two Fuji color films in my Holga and I had bad luck with them, the paper was too wide and rolled badly exposing the film to light. I wouldn't recommend those, but that was just my experience.

mboothby said:
Hey, mates. I'm new here, obviously. I'm also new to the world of medium format film. I have no idea where to start. Well, I suppose I do. I just bought myself a Holga from Lomography.com. Yum. I was wondering what brand of medium format film do you all recommend? Or, rather, are there any that produce a certain effect in a Holga?

Thanks for your time.

Well, first of all welcome to the MF experience! You'll love it.

As far as black and white MF film goes, the Ilford (and subsequently Arista) are a great choice. You can try some Tri-X by Kodak (400ASA), if you can find it. I've also worked with AGFA film, especially with slow emulsions like 25ASA and 100ASA. I love the contrast in them, but again, that might not be what you are after.

Most reactions

Back