Medium format questions

Overread

hmm I recognise this place! And some of you!
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
www.deviantart.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Soooo someone in another forum has a Mamiya RB67 Pro-S with a few lenses and extension tubes up for sale and its caught my eye. I've sent them a note, but I was wondering if any here have experience with the medium format area (or better that specific camera body) and its use outside of the studio environment. Specifically my interest area is going to be macro, most likely of still subjects or the odd bug that decides to be cold and still enough to allow a tripod approach. I've read a few books where they were the dominant tool for macro work so its got my interest as a possibility.

So anyone got any thoughts on this? Should I jump on the deal or would I be chasing after nothing of real gain for my interest area.

reference:
Lenses 90mm f/3.8, 50mm f/4.5, 180mm f/4.5,
tubes: Mamiya No.1 and No.2

I've got a Mamiya RB67...I can't remember is it's the Pro-S model or not.

I've played with it, but not really used it...yet. They are nice enough cameras....big, bulky and heavy as a tank. In most cases, a tripod will be recommended...and a good solid one at that. The tripod that I bought with the camera (and a bunch of other stuff) is a beast that weights like 20 lbs or more.

If you get a good deal on it, jump on it. The lenses are still fairly expensive to buy. I've been wanting a 50mm (wide angle) lens for mine, as I only have a 100-200mm zoom.

There are (at least) two different types/levels of Mamiya lenses for these, I can't recall the designation off the top of my head, but if you have the top end lenses, that would affect what you might expect to pay.

What else does it come with? You'll need at least one back, but an extra or two would be nice. I think I've got a macro rail/bellows for the lens, which would be a nice accessory for what you want to do.

I looked at and played with a lot of RB and RZs before I finally settled on my 645AFD (I wanted a 6x7, but for the deal I got on my 645, I couldn't pass it up). They're awesome cameras, built like tanks, and Mamiya glass is simply excellent.

I love working with MF gear, but have never tried it for macro work. My concern is that because of the inherently smaller DoF you get with such a large negative, macro work is going to become that much more challenging. That said, if the subject holds still, you'll be able produce 24x30 prints of an ant's whisker.

3 x 120 Film Backs with dark slides a CDS Magnifying Finder and waistlevel viewfinder as well as cable releases (one regular one duel for mirror lockup).

tirediron - I think its a 645 model that was used in one or two of the books I read

Certainly its a very tempting setup; as for the depth of field, if the depth drops off as the same rate as the diffraction also eases off one could simply close down a lot lot more to grab up more depth whilst retaining usable sharpness. Course then I'll have to hunt around for some flash units for this setup and likely a flash meter of some kind (or more likely a series of test shots mixed with manual flash and manual camera settings with flash being the dominant light source).

Macro work on an RB67...hmmm...coming from the MPE-65 and a 1.6x camera, I think you'll be in for a very rude awakening at the limitations you will encounter. Not sure what the cost of the film-based outfit is...or if it will really represent an "advancement" of your kit or not. It will show you what it is like to use a larger capture format, and to have much more limited depth of field at each and every angle of view, compared against your current 1.6x APS-C sized capture devices.

From what I've read the first thing to get a shock is going to be my arms I think ;)
The reduced depth of field will certainly be a challenge, mixed with the fact that focus stacking will likely be impractical most of the time (though I might well give it a try on select examples, though even with digital and easier setups I often take two or three stacks to ensure I get one that actually works).

Ya, that is one reason why a typical MF lens can stop down to F64 or smaller.

I have the RZ67 and I've been taking it out to handhold it a lot lately. As a matter of fact I have it in my car. For macro or nature it will be nice to have a sturdy tripod. If you're going to handhold it I'd recommend buying a strap (expensive).

I'm pretty sure that the RB67 is heavier than the RZ67. (I think I have an RZ67 body somewhere...the guy who used to own all this stuff, obviously treated his RB as more precious than the RZ...I don't know why.)

Fingers crossed I should be putting the money in someone account tomorrow and then --- its waiting for the postman!

Now film scanners...;)

Limited in macro? Using extension tubes will knock your socks off with an RB. The results are amazing with such a large negtive to work on. One thing you will have to take into consieration is bellows extension exposure compensation. There is a table on the side of the front standard that will tell you how much to compensate in stops.

Another advantage the RB has is that most lenses will focus extreamly close since the bellows allows 43mm of over extension, like having a built in extension tube.

Yes the camera is heavy, but heck, what do you expect of a machine built to last forever?

Have fun with your new camera. Be sure to follow up so we can see that huge smile on your face when you see the negatives for the first time?

Most reactions

Back