meet Ronny: street musician (56k killer)

JonMikal

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
in a very fast paced city, its hard to stop and smell the roses. from several blocks away, ronny's melodic tone and awesome riffs resonate through the streets and draw you in. even the busiest of washington's elite are caught offguard for a few moments with doubletakes, a dance step or two, and an occasional bob of the head. before you realize, you've stood there; mesmerized by his awesome talent, then, wondering what on earth he's doing playing for coins. like many, ronny chose the wrong path years ago; drugs. he paid the price...now he's back on track playing better than ever! he occasionally gets hired for parties and sits in with old friends at nearby pubs jamming for rent and meals, but, ronny finds more satisfaction on the street because, as he puts it, "they stop to hear me; there's no other reason to stand here...and that my friend is what it's all about". people do come, they listen and leave a dollar or two.

here are a few pics of ronny in various styles. he commented that people always want to take his pic but he never sees them. i promised to deliver some of these this coming weekend to him. i hope he likes them. i mixed it up a bit with color, b&w and some infrared settings. im still on a learning curve with people pics, so please offer any advice if you care to.

so....meet my new friend, ronny:

21116430-L.jpg

21113860-L.jpg

21114357-L.jpg

21113611-L.jpg

21114188-L-1.jpg

21116744-L.jpg

21116041-L.jpg

21115453-L.jpg

21115775-L-1.jpg

people come; they leave tokens of appreciation for taking them away from everyday life, even for a moment. if you ever get to washington, you come too:

21116593-L.jpg

Very cool...I love the story you posted along with the pics...it really gives them meaning.

The second one, and the third from last are my favorites. I think it's awesome that you are gonna give him some pics! :)

Third from last, definately my favorite...

It's also very nice to hear the story behind the photos? Puts a nice perspective to them...

Yes, the third from last is the strongest, but I also like his full portrait.
He's lucky to be photographed with the promise to also receive some prints by no one less than you, JonMikal! These photos are special.
He may not be missing out on too much of the photos taken by the tourists. Point. Shoot.
Not yours!
Congratulations to your new friend Ronny, regards to him from Germany.

I'll say it again "Oh Master Poster" Enjoyed the story and pictures immensely. Very interesing subject,angles and captures. He looks so natural in front of the lense. The b&W's are my favourites. The 2nd last shot would be a great poster for his bar gigs. Catching his head in the clouds is way cool. Way too post friend!

Nice series Jon. :thumbup:

Its beautiful that you are giving his copies. I'm sure he would cherish it.

Daniel

Great shots Jon, I would love to hear this guy go at it!! He is very lucky to have a great photographer and cool person to share his talent. Too bad musicians can't play in forums like this and we can, but they do have a venue for sharing their talent, even if its on a street. I have a shot of a blind guy doing the same thing in the Philippines, I will try to find it and post it later in here.

As for your people shots help, you do a fantastic job, and not much help is needed, you are very creative with the lens. The only suggestion I could make is to try taking a 300-400mm lens, open up the aperture as much as possible, and stand as far away from him.. to the right crop distance, and then try different angles for your backgrounds. try to keep the nearest background to him so far away that it is blurred., this will help force attention to the subject.. that's the concept I used shooting the birds in manila zoo., hope it helps you .. good luck!

Neophyte Photographer said:
this is nice!

u should send the entire "article" in to the local paper
Great idea! It could be your opening to the editorial world!!

Amazing series JonMikal. I agree with Neophyte Photogrpher. This should be presented to the local paper. I am sure he is really going to enjoy these photos. Great work!!!

Great job again Jon! I'm sure he will love these pics. :D
I like #8 most. :)

Great stuff Jon, this sort of thing puts a lot of interest behind photographs. I couldn't really pick out a favourite from them as they are all a part of the story, and I think if you look at it like that, then they come as a package.

Well Done!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back