Memory card storage

vintagesnaps

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Someone asked about ideas for storing memory cards; it would depend of course on how many you have to store. A friend who like me shoots film stores them in empty film canisters and I've done that too. I've looked at getting a memory card wallet to start storing them in (assuming I'll have that many eventually!).

I write the date/year on the canister using a photo safe pen by (I think) Sakura. When I shoot film I often do the same thing. I sometimes write on the actual cartridge such as when I change film mid-roll.

The expectation is that the technology will change so that could mean eventually needing to convert images to a different format and/or way of storing them, so I feel like keeping my originals is the best option.

I feel like more than one backup is probably a good idea. I have a photo CD that isn't all that many years old and it's already deteriorating, but I still have the negatives and have saved the photos on the computer. Supposedly gold CDs are the best for preserving images so I plan to try those.

Prints would be an option, and I do my own, but those are not necessarily archivally safe. After the storm on the east coast this fall, galleries in NYC were unable to do any restoration to digitally printed images but were able to salvage C41 color and traditional silver darkroom prints. I got a few drops of water on a couple of my inkjet photos once and it was as if they were superglued together and they peeled apart totally destroyed. Of course I just printed new copies but I'm looking into more archival options for select images.

My challenge has been to organize and convert a selection of years' worth of negatives into a digital format, and if it's anything like music it'll be like going from records to cassettes to CDs etc. - and back to vinyl... yes, it's back (see Urban Outfitters, Third Man Records, etc.).

Most reactions

Back