My Best/Worst Experience at the Beach

cbarnard7

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Best/Worst story I've had in a while-

So on Tuesday, the last day of our short vacation in Florida, my wife and I went to the beach in Pompano. We stopped by for a couple hours before our flight to relax before heading back to Denver. The ocean was flat and clear and the beach was filled with Canadian tourists.

After relaxing in the sun for a bit, I decided to get in the water (even though it was cold, I wasn't about to pass up on it!). There was only 2 other people and I was closest to the pier. I swam out about 30 feet (in about 4 feet deep) and did my routine of looking down and checking for stingrays and fish.

Shortly after, I saw a dollar bill lying in the sand. It was clear enough to see it was a bill, but too deep to make out what denomination. I went in head-first and swam to pick it up. When I surfaced, I realized it was a $100 bill! I was stoked. I put it in my pocket and was giddy.

Not more than a minute later, I looked down and realized the sand was LITTERED with bills (seriously)! I used my old free-diving skills and went crazy. I grabbed every possible bill and every time I surfaced, I saw they were all hundreds (with the exception of a couple $50's)! In my head, I was thinking:

A: They must be fake

Or

B: Maybe there was some at-sea drug deal that went wrong (I didn't care where they came from, but they were staying in my pocket)

After a couple minutes, I had two pockets filled with soaking-wet hundred dollar bills (think of wadding up 5 paper towels in each pocket). I looked around and realized I had gotten them all and tried to act cool. I waited a couple minutes just laughing to myself, already spending the money in my head.

After swimming around, I saw a black object at the bottom of the sand. I went down, picked it up and realized it was a wallet (come on, man!). Already, my conscience had kicked in and I realized what I needed to do. I looked inside and saw it was a Canadian ID. To make matters worse, I put a face to the ID, swimming about 30 feet away. I waited until he got ashore and I watched him absolutely panic when realizing he lost his wallet (and about $3000 in cash). I walked up, held up his soaking wet wallet and saw him breathe the biggest sigh of relief. To make it exciting (since I wanted to get something out of it) I said, "Wait!" and pulled out a giant wad of $100's out of my pocket. His face (and friend's faces) dropped and he teared up a bit. Again, I said, "Hold on!" and pulled out another giant wad of hundreds.

He was absolutely stunned (as were all the Canadians around us) and gave me a giant hug. His friends gave a little clap as well! He held up the cantaloupe-sized wad of wet cash and just stared at it, thanking me repeatedly (in very broken English).

He offered me a reward, but I said, "nah, it's cool" and went back down. He later said, "take something, please!" and handed me $20. I took it and gave him another hug and that was that. I was super happy to have been able to not only find his wallet, but his money as well. The free lunch didn't hurt, either! Although, it would've been really nice to have another $3000 this time of the year!

Next time you're at the beach, look around!

sheesh - who goes swimming with their wallet!!

But kudos to you man! Even for a Man Utd fan ;)

sheesh - who goes swimming with their wallet!!

But kudos to you man! Even for a Man Utd fan ;)

Haha, thanks! I've done it before, although I had a zipper pocket. I've had friends lose their stuff (including rings/keys/wallets...etc) and it's always just gone for good. It was a lucky situation to say the least- especially with that current!

Wow, that is an absolute AWESOME story, and I hope that something tremendous happens to you in the next few days as a "reward" for doing the right thing, just because it was the right thing.
I can just imagine being that poor guy who lost his wallet and then had someone find and return it like that, when you're certain it's been lost forever in the ocean… just cool!

Australians have the right idea. Plastic money! Perfect for surfers / swimmers.

Oh man, tell us - what had you mentally spent the $3000 on before you saw his face?

Australians have the right idea. Plastic money! Perfect for surfers / swimmers.

Oh man, tell us - what had you mentally spent the $3000 on before you saw his face?

Haha, well a couple prime lenses came to mind, but my wife and I are expecting our first baby in April, so pretty much diapers/crib/stroller were in there as well!

Wow!! Great story!
BUT...who the hell carries that much money around these day? That seems shady...hehe Probably gave a drug dealer his money back. lol

"Canadian" and broken hinglish? Sounds like it coulda been a Keebekois (OK, Quebecois if you want to be precise...). S'ok. I'm one of "them" too.

And good on you for giving it all back. However, can you imagine what the guy's room looked like after he got back? It probably takes a while to air-dry soggy paper currency. Hopefully, none of them had soluble ink.

My wife and I were thinking, "what if he had more than what I gave him? Would he think I stole it?"

Most reactions

Back