Mentor

daverica

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am just entering the world of photography with the hopes of doing this professionally. How can I get a mentor?

Welcome to the forums.

We operate an informal mentoring scheme through the site itself, you can find more details as well as a list of the current mentors here:
http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/beyond-basics/125099-official-mentors-bio-list.html

If you mean a more local mentor or one to teach you in person you have a couple of possible options:
1) You pay someone - could be a local school/adult learning centre - a college/uni - or could be independent training. The costs and what is on offer will vary and you'll want to research the course content to make sure that its what you are after and is suitable for your level of understanding/skill.

2) You apprentice under an established photographer. This will generally require you to be intermediate in skills, that is at least capable with a camera and equipment (as well as lighting setups). You might get paid to do this or you might pay them - it will depend on the nature of the setup (generally you get paid as its working for them whilst getting tuition during the event - but remember whilst you are there to learn you will also be there to work so a lot of the learning will not be direct).
You might also want to check contracts carefully as many professional setups will restrict you from going out and starting up a rival company soon after leaving their employment (this can last years) so you might want to look further afield from the area you want to live/work in eventually.

3) Informal again, but good if you are just starting out; look up and see if there are any local camera clubs. These you can join and might have teaching or trial days. In addition networking at such an event might open doors and you may will find a few willing to give you some pointers or direction in your photography (though remember clubs are there for a whole range of people so don't expect to go and find a whole army of willing teachers) .

hahahaha.. beat both of you laggards!!!! :)

I'd have beaten you - but I had more words to put down ;)

I'd have beaten you - but I had more words to put down ;)

I will concede that you gave a much more detailed explanation than I did, indeed! :)

Thank you all for your help. I am checking on the bios.

Most reactions

Back