What's new

Messing with glass V2

JAC526

TPF Noob!
Joined
Sep 19, 2011
Messages
1,329
Reaction score
237
Location
Cincinnati OH
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey guys and gals,

Here is my second attempt at lighting glass. I used basically the same techniques as before but just fiddled around a lot more.

I did one dark version and one light version:

The darkness:


untitled-8569 by JChick526, on Flickr

The greyness:


untitled-8581 by JChick526, on Flickr

Thanks for looking.

Joe
 
I like the first one!

Thank you sir. I spent most of my time trying to figure out how to dark field light the wine glass but figured I might as take the gobo that served as my background off and try to bright field light it as well.
 
I like them both, but for different reasons. The first one has a more "sombre" mood to it, whereas the second looks like something that was shot for a catalog or a magazine. My 0.02¢ FWIW.

WesternGuy
 
I love the second one.... first one is also amazing.. :)
 
Love both but the 1st is my favorite by far!!
 
Both look really, really good imo....

The black contrast on the first one is awesome.....Will be reading up on how to do this kind of work....
 
Both look really, really good imo....

The black contrast on the first one is awesome.....Will be reading up on how to do this kind of work....

Thanks man. Here is a diagram that should help get you started:


lighting-diagram-1355157584 by JChick526, on Flickr

This is really the basic setup except for this shot I only used one speedlight. The white panels in the diagram are some type of diffusion material (think bedsheet or the middle of a 5 in one reflector or a shower curtain etc....). The black is a gobo (literally goes in between the light and the subject) that also serves as my background. The setup is pretty much the same for the second shot just with the gobo removed.

Joe
 
Thanks for the tips...Really helpful..... :D

I need a speedlite for sure...Will try to make that my next purchase...
Not sure what a gobo is though...Googling now.... :)
 
Thanks for the tips...Really helpful..... :D

I need a speedlite for sure...Will try to make that my next purchase...
Not sure what a gobo is though...Googling now.... :)

It just means something that goes in between your light and your subject. Also called a flag or a cutter.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom