Messy C&C

robyn_fresh

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I appreciate straightforward opinions and suggestions on how I could have improved my shots.

DSCF6537.jpg

DSCF6458.jpg

apple5.jpg

apple4.jpg

The last two are the best. Focus seems to be an issue that you need to work on, by looking at the top two and, to a lesser degree, in the third. Try not to be in too big a hurry but even if you are, concentrate on being smooth and don't stab at the shutter release button but push it with follow-through in a controlled manner.

C&C per req: Technically the main issue with these images is that the focus is soft. When shooting portraits, whether people, animals or, always ensure that the focus is on the eyes and that they're tack-sharp. Artistically, I'm afraid I have to agree with Corv. The "messy child" shots generally are only really appealling to parents and family members (and siblings for their blackmail potential later in life). The question to ask yourself is, "If I walked into a office and saw these images on the wall, what would I think?"

I suspect that if you examine that objectively you would wonder why they were there. That is one difference between pictures or snapshots and photographs. These images are clearly 'spur of the moment' captures to record something you viewed as cute and memorable.

Children are great subjects; perhaps go outside on a nice sunny day and practice shots in natural light? Concnetrate on your focus and acheiving nice, soft, homogenous backgrounds.

~Just my $00.02 worth - your mileage may vary.

John

back up, turn down the flash and try different angles.

Honestly, I went to check on the child and he had pulled a box of candy apples off of the table and was chowing on them. I thought it was cute. I decided to grab my camera and take a few shots focusing on the "thirds" rule; and for the most part his eyes being my focus. A few shots of a certain young lady that I posted recently got bashed for composition amongst other things. I thought that a few of the pictures turned out nicely. I was trying not to disturb the child and follow the "thirds" rule at the same time.

Flash had to be used since we were in a kitchen with a burned out lightbulb?

Honestly, I went to check on the child and he had pulled a box of candy apples off of the table and was chowing on them. I thought it was cute. I decided to grab my camera and take a few shots focusing on the "thirds" rule; and for the most part his eyes being my focus. A few shots of a certain young lady that I posted recently got bashed for composition amongst other things. I thought that a few of the pictures turned out nicely. I was trying not to disturb the child and follow the "thirds" rule at the same time.

Now that does make a difference. Remember that the 'Rule of thirds' like almost everything in photography is a guidline at best. There are a whole host of "rules" (Golden mean, rule of thirds, etc) which are considered elements of good composition. They don't apply in all cases, and at the end of the day, what looks good is what works.

One of the guiding principles of the rule of thirds as it relates to portraiture is that the subject should be offset from the centre of the image by about 1/3. In #s 3 & 4 you have the child almost centred and in #2, he occupies the left-hand half of the frame.

When you're shooting things like this, you have to work with the hand your dealt; so, rather than try and acheive a perfect composition at the moment, you'll often get better results by opening up the shot ("zooming out") a bit and then cropping to the final composition in post.

As an aside, I'm not sure if I recall the post to which you made reference above or not, but bear in mind that while some people here are blunt in their commentary, C&C does mean comment and critique, and in 99.99% of cases, even if the response is phrased in the most polite manner, it is provided with the intent of helping you.

Next time you might try opening up a window and adjusting the ISO to accomodate the low lighting. I agree with the backing up, but I also understand that your kitchen/lens combo might now have allowed you much room. The focus is soft, but the more practice you do, the better you will get at that. :) Cute kid. I'm glad it's your mess and not mine! lol

i ask myself everytime i take a pic, "would i want this pic framed, sitting on my table?" these i would say no. too messy, too close up, too much flash. would you want these pics in his baby book? i would have attempted different angles as well.

Most reactions

Back