What's new

Metal or Canvas?

flysooner9

TPF Noob!
Joined
Apr 2, 2014
Messages
19
Reaction score
14
Location
Oklahoma
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey everyone, im wanting to have this photo printed up for my house. My question is do you think it would look better on a canvas or as a metal print?

 
Im leaning towards metal but also would like input on what type of finish.
 
I haven't printed anything on either (okay all three). But I would tend to agree with the metal on this one. Seems to me that Scott Kelby and Matt Klowaski (sp) have talked about this being the type of shots that look really good on metal.
 
I haven't tried acrylic, but that might be fun for this image. FWIW, I've done a handful of prints on "aluminized paper" and one on actual aluminum, and the the aluminized paper seemed to have a bit more pop than the actual metal. I can't say this conclusively, though, because they were different images, so take that with a grain of salt.

I like the bright, solid colors in this photo, btw - great eye.
 
You might prefer metal with a wrap (return to the wall), but unless you have an extra 3/4" that you're not showing us, you'll lose so much of the margins that the proportions will be off.

Metal, but flat. Hang it on some stand-offs to keep it away from the wall.

I haven't seen acrylic.

I visited some websites that advertised acrylic. As I see it, the main thing is a sheet of clear plexiglass used as a cover sheet. Some even use metal posts in the corners as spacers to hold the plexiglass away from the print. They're joking, right? Who would do that? A metal post in each corner really adds to the "contemporary-ness" of a photograph.

One of my oft-used axioms: "Contemporary is Temporary"

:soapbox:
 
Last edited:
What finish does the wall have where it will hang and what size do you plan to hang?

Will it be lit by window light during the day, on an interior wall that gets no daylight, or wiil you mount an electric light to display it?
 
i ordered an acrylic proof of it from bumblejax. Really curious to see how it looks.
 
What finish does the wall have where it will hang and what size do you plan to hang?

Will it be lit by window light during the day, on an interior wall that gets no daylight, or wiil you mount an electric light to display it?

Wall is an off white plaster finish. Plan on eventually printing in the 24x16 size range. Wall gets a good bit of natural light in the afternoons.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom