Metallic Prints, Yes Or No

smoke665

TPF Supporters
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
For some time I've been reluctant to order prints on the Endura Metallic Papers. Thanks to a gift certificate to one of the popular labs I decided to try them. Just got them in today.

What I like

The sharpness of detail is amazing in the highlights and midtones, deep shadows seem to be the same. The colors seem richer, deeper, almost like an auto finish where you're looking through layers of clear coat.

What I don't

Even with the linen finish imprint, they are glossy, but unlike glossy prints they seem to have a bit of strange color reflections as you turn the print in the light.

I'm going to need to look at them some more, after I get them framed and behind glass, before I decide if this is something I want to do again.

What about others??? Opinions??? Likes/dislikes??? When ordering metallic prints do you have them apply the linen embossing or not????

I find the paper and finish I select really depends on the subject. I ordered an astrophotography print on Kodak Endura Metallic thinking that the pearlescent paper would give the stars a bit of a shimmer... I didn’t like the print (but to be fair, I think the lab didn’t do a great job. I sent the identical image to Aluminyze and had it printed on aluminum (with white background on gloss finish) and it turned out fanatic.

I recently picked up a Canon PIXMA Pro-10 (Canon has a fanatic rebate on it, so I couldn’t pass on the price) and a few different papers and I’ve been experimenting with that and I’m really liking the results.

In general what I choose for paper depends on the subject and colors. For example, if I want soft gentle subjects then maybe I subdue the color (think pastel... but not that far) and a matte or luster finish. If I want something edgy with jammy saturated colors and strong contrast.. I go for a gloss finish.

I just haven’t experimented enough with metallic (pearlescent white paper) to figure out where I like it.

I tried one from Costco since I saw JustJazzie's thread.
I really like the outcome but think it's really not for all images. Images that have bright or bold colours really work well with this.

metalprint-jpg.153738

Not that I have noticed.
Just had another look around it. Just looks like it's had a good 5 coats of clear and polished to a shine.

I order a lot of metallic paper prints as well as aluminum prints; and they're definitely NOT for every image, but when they work, they work. I deal with Technicare out of Edmonton and I've never had an issue with any of the quality.

After reading comments and studying the prints i think sheen I'm seeing is the pearlescense. Like oil on water

After reading comments and studying the prints i think sheen I'm seeing is the pearlescense. Like oil on water

The paper itself has a shimmery pearlescent / opalescent character to it. Since there is no "white" ink in a printer... anything white is simply the exposed paper. If you've ever seen a car with "pearlescent" paint vs. a car with "white" paint... that's basically the difference.

But because they've put a pearlescent overcoat on the paper, to see the shimmery nature you sort of need to be looking at it in real life and able to change your angle to it and the light. It's not the kind of thing you can easily show on the computer screen, though there are some YouTube video reviews that try to show it off.

Most reactions

Back