Meter Reading in EXIF data?

fatsheep

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Is there any way to tell what my light meter reading was when the shot was taken in EXIF data? It would be good to know for a lot of shots because I take a few different exposures and I would like to know what the meter was at when I nailed it when I'm viewing it on the computer.

Is there any way to tell what my light meter reading was when the shot was taken in EXIF data? It would be good to know for a lot of shots because I take a few different exposures and I would like to know what the meter was at when I nailed it when I'm viewing it on the computer.

Yep. The aperture, shutter speed and ISO will all be in the EXIF data.

I don't know if you're a Photoshop CS3 user or not but Bridge is a good method of quickly scanning this type of data from thumbnails to see what worked and what didn't.

Lightroom I imagine would have similar functionality and there are no doubt numerous other applications which would have similar functionality.

Yep. The aperture, shutter speed and ISO will all be in the EXIF data.

I don't know if you're a Photoshop CS3 user or not but Bridge is a good method of quickly scanning this type of data from thumbnails to see what worked and what didn't.

Lightroom I imagine would have similar functionality and there are no doubt numerous other applications which would have similar functionality.

I already have the aperture, shutter speed, and ISO in my EXIF data. That doesn't tell me what the meter reading was. I want to know if the meter told me if it was a stop overexposed, 2/3 stops underexposed, or whatever...

Ahh I see. I don't think that information is actually recorded.

Edit: I was just thinking, by looking at your picture and the histogram you should be able to tell if you got a good exposure or not.

Even if you were to get the same exposure as your light meter, the light meter doesn't always get it right.

I already have the aperture, shutter speed, and ISO in my EXIF data. That doesn't tell me what the meter reading was. I want to know if the meter told me if it was a stop overexposed, 2/3 stops underexposed, or whatever...
The camera doesn't know if the shot was over or underexposed...and the combination of the shutter speed, aperture and ISO...IS the meter reading.

Perhaps you are thinking of Exposure Compensation...and I would think that the EXIF data would show if you had adjusted that.

If you were shooting in manual mode...I'm not sure if the EXIF date would show the difference your exposure was from 18% grey.

Mike is correct. EV comp is there, knowing if it under or overexposed, well you need to know that, the camera doesn't.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back