Metering question.

Ghoste

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
When using my on camera metering on the Auto function and it wants to use the flash, but I don't want it to.. say it says 60 at 4.0 if I set it to manual and set it to 60 and 4.0 but without the flash. Will it still come out the same? Sorry if I don't make sense, I have a bad concussion haha.

I don't know what type of camera you are using, but on mine (olympus is-100), when it says it wants to use flash, but I don't pop up the flash. it automaticly extends the shutterspeed. only, on this particular cam you cant see what shutter speeds its gonna use.. kind of frustrating at times.

anyway. 1/60s sounds like quite long to me, so it'll probably use that one without the flash, and when you pop up/engage the flash, i think it will shorten the shutter speeds to say 1/250 maybe? I don't know. but to my knowledge there is no flash that can sinchronise up to 1/60th of a second.. correct me if im wrong though :)

Ghoste, I'd say probably not. 1/60th is quite a normal (if a little slow these days) xsync speed, so alarm bells ring for me and I suspect that that is the synch speed.

Some cameras can synchronise the flash at all speeds given TTL metering and a good flashgun. Cameras with an in-built flash should have a flash-override button which will then allow the metering to show accurately, rather than the xsync speed, whilst using in Auto mode. Perhaps refer to the manual?

Rob

Canon Elan 7N. So on Auto, if it wants the flash up, you have to let it up, or switch to manual and just put it down. So the question is, does shooting 1/60 at f/4 without a flash have still have the same affect than shooting with it. I understand the lighting on the subject will be different but the question is more, will I be underexposed with the same settings but not using a flash?

It depends a lot on how you have it set.
Things like the flash function and metering mode all make a difference.
I don't know the camera so I can't be specific.
What's the slowest shutter speed and biggest aperture the camera will go to?

If you meter a scene and the camera says 1/60th @ f4 then that is the exposure. If you turn the flash on with this setting the flash will adjust for this.
If the camera says it needs the flash and puts itself on a setting for the flash then turning the flash off will probably result in underexposure.
Put the camera on manual and meter to see what it says, then turn the flash on to see if things change.
The bottom line is - make a note of your settings and shoot off some test shots of different combos to see what you get. Often it's the best way.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back