Speedlight Strobe - what is it used for?

phkc070408

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I bought a used Speedlight Canon EX530. It has a Strobe Function where I can have it put off a set number of flashes (bursts) while the shutter is open (say 150 bursts in a 1 second shutter). When would someone want to use this feature? Maybe if you're trying to catch a blur of someone or something moving after dark.

I bought a used Speedlight Canon EX530. It has a Strobe Function where I can have it put off a set number of flashes (bursts) while the shutter is open (say 150 bursts in a 1 second shutter). When would someone want to use this feature? Maybe if you're trying to catch a blur of someone or something moving after dark.
One of my strobes has a similar feature, with both the flash rate & power of each flash controllable - I don't think mine reaches more than about 30 flashes.
I've used a slower strobe rate for pool balls in motion, and plan to try it soon for bursting water bombs...
You can use it anywhere where multiple images of fast moving action is wanted. Timing the flash rate with the movement rate can be tricky, but it's fun to play with :)

There is another more common flash mode that uses multiple flashes, used in high speed sync mode to ensure light reaches all the sensor despite the fact it's not all uncovered at the same time.

Last edited:
You may want to look up Dr. Harold Edgerton, the inventor of the stroboscopic light. He captured large numbers of objects "frozen" in mid-air, including bullets going through fruit, a droplet creating a crown effect in milk.

There are volumes of data written on the subject. It's a fascinating subset of photography.

I used mine to do some strobe photos, it can be good fun
I don’t have the image to hand but I rolled a pound coin and set the flash rate so that the rolled 1/20 each flash for thirty flashes

Most reactions

New Topics

Back