Vautrin

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.withoutamapphotography.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi Everyone,

So I've been drooling over the new macbooks and macbook airs, and I'm seriously considering taking the plunge.

However, I've got the following problems:

1. I'd like to migrate my lightroom catalog over from my PC. So if I have, for instance, a folder of scanned film I want previews, keywords, modifications ot be moved over seamlessly. I was thinking of setting up my old computer as a fileserver
2. I have over 2TB of pictures to move -- which won't fit on a macbook
3. So I'd like to set up a file server in my home -- which is fine. But if I am on the go, ideally I'd like to be able to download my latest batch of scans / photos to go through and edit (all while preserving lightroom information)

Is this completely unrealistic, or does anyone have any ideas on how I can do this?

Thanks,

Dan

Why a MacBook Air?

First off, I'm a Mac user so it's not Mac hatred talking here.

The Air is light because there is very little in it. And you pay more for it unless they've dropped the price. I can see someone who travels a lot and is going to not keep much on it, maybe.

Since it has no built in DVD drive, you need a second computer to, in the words of Apple itself, "borrow" its drive for anything that would require one such as installing software... or you would need a external drive which adds to both weight and price.

Why a MacBook Air?

First off, I'm a Mac user so it's not Mac hatred talking here.

The Air is light because there is very little in it. And you pay more for it unless they've dropped the price. I can see someone who travels a lot and is going to not keep much on it, maybe.

Since it has no built in DVD drive, you need a second computer to, in the words of Apple itself, "borrow" its drive for anything that would require one such as installing software... or you would need a external drive which adds to both weight and price.

Well it's really cool and really small. It also seems like it has enough power under the hood to run lightroom and maybe photoshop.

Really the thing for me is I have a desktop, but would love a small and light computer that I could take with me.

Plus it's oh so sexy... =D

There are ways to network your home computer to be able to get to it through the internet. I don't know if a Windows machine will talk to a Mac to be able to do it and I'm not sure if a Mac (assuming the home computer is a Mac) has software for that capability. Years ago, there was a software program "PC Anywhere" that would do that for PCs, I do hear commercials on Sirus Radio for services that will allow you to do it as well.

Mac does have something to do this kind of thing including installing the software that works with either another Mac or a PC, supposedly. Can't remember what it's called (Sharing something or rather) but I still think that for photographers, not having a DVD drive is not the best way to go.

I am guessing to be able to have the smallest, lightest and "greatest" - you need to not put in functional equipment for normal everyday use. I guess an external DVD drive would work but now you have to carry something extra. Owning anything without all the standard equipment needed seems a little strange to me but I guess Apple has a reason for it's decision.

Owning anything without all the standard equipment needed seems a little strange to me but I guess Apple has a reason for it's decision.

They probably do but it would be interesting to know if they sell much of this one.

Yeah but the way I'm thinking about it:

DVDs: never use them, I scan film and download from my cf cards -- which are usb compatible
Hard Drive: Compact flash, going to be wicked fast.. Swapping is now as fast as RAM
RAM: 4GB should be plenty
Display & graphics: Apple quality, should be nice

Yep. I have both a mac desktop and laptop (27" imac and a 13" mbp), and I agree that the Air is mainly for business people who need a light, thin laptop for easy travel. A MBP is already one of the thinnest laptops you can get. A more powerful MBP is what you need, not an air. Plus, if you need to burn a disk of images for a client, you won't have to use the silly external dvd drive. It's too much trouble unless you fit the 'business and traveler' niche. Just my .02.

There are ways to network your home computer to be able to get to it through the internet. I don't know if a Windows machine will talk to a Mac to be able to do it and I'm not sure if a Mac (assuming the home computer is a Mac) has software for that capability. Years ago, there was a software program "PC Anywhere" that would do that for PCs, I do hear commercials on Sirus Radio for services that will allow you to do it as well.

Windows Home Server works with OS X and I'm pretty sure that the remote connection will work too since it's internet based.

AFAIK, PCAnywhere is for dial up connections.

Display & graphics: Apple quality, should be nice

You people...

All of Apple's notebooks have TN panels. They're not very good for photography. They won't calibrate right and the colors can change by shifting a few inches in your seat.

It works with TCP/IP network as well. But it is not as popular as before. In the PC world now, Citrix or Remote Desktop Client or VNC is more popular now.

It works with TCP/IP network as well. But it is not as popular as before. In the PC world now, Citrix or Remote Desktop Client or VNC is more popular now.

We have two computers in my building that still run PCAnywhere with a dial up connection. It's really an archaic system.

I think you can go forMacBook is a good choice from technical point of view it is faster than MacBook air & you can use external storage for your picture.
If you can afford a 13" MacBook pro it would be very good, Higher speed than macbook there is also fire wire so that you can connect a fire wire external hard drive.

BTW you will never regret migrating to a mac

Most reactions

Back