mild C&C request

#5 is the best IMO.
In general here is what I see is lacking:
Your composition is a bit bland. Next time you are out shooting try different angles. Lay on your back and shoot up. Shoot through something to frame out the main subject. Utilize your DOF to give more attention on certain elements. Shoot from above your subject. (when you can) Whatever way a tourist would shoot a landmark, do the opposite.

Now I think you cropped too much on the train photo! A little background would frame it I think. But I agree, that one and the cash register needed to be shot in closer or be cropped to bring the viewer's attention to the subject. Be aware of the backgrounds, with the cash register think about where to place it in relation to the tree, there's a white garland near it that I think makes for a distraction and the white wall is a rather boring background unless you shoot in really close so not much background shows.

With the church I'd probably lop that other building next to it out of the picture altogether and see how it looks (on a copy of course), then crop the bottom some to balance what I'd cropped out. When you're out shooting something like that try moving around and getting photos from various vantage points - sometimes just a few steps one way or another can give you a totally different picture. Take your time so your brain can process what your eye's seeing - does it look in the viewfinder the way you want it? (edit - It sounds like you're on the right track.)

I love the barber shop and pedal car in B&W, I'd just adjust the contrast as mentioned so the barber pole and white trim on the car are more white - with more contrast that would pop more I think.

Last edited:
The barber shop photo is MUCH stronger in color...wayyyyy stronger.

The composition in your images virtually does not exist. I have a feeling that you are wandering in the dark, trying to get "artsy" without really understanding what is needed.
My advice - learn about composition and start with simple ones, cutting off anything that complicates things. Start with simple colors and few lines.
Just some quick "artsy" edits.

$TPF021.jpg

$TPF04.jpg

$TPF04d.jpg

$TPF06c.jpg

Last edited:
The composition in your images virtually does not exist. I have a feeling that you are wandering in the dark, trying to get "artsy" without really understanding what is needed.
My advice - learn about composition and start with simple ones, cutting off anything that complicates things. Start with simple colors and few lines.
Just some quick "artsy" edits.

Yes, precisely. I gotta start somewhere ....
Those first 3 pics were during one of my kids field recent trips. It was hard keeping 25 wandering kids out of a photo.

Most reactions

Back