Military Funeral

rgregory1965

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
$DSC_7750-5.jpg

My Ex father in law.....Retired Navy

Love the selective colouring of this one. I have yet to do one but maybe one day when I find a suitable B/W shot that really needs it.

jmo of course and don't hate me because I don't like selective coloring

The way you edited doesn't say "funeral" it says "The flag at the coffin"

IMHO the selective coloring takes away from the image. It isn't as powerful as it could be and makes it, for lack of a better word, cheesy.

My .02, YMMV.

I agree - the selective coloring doesn't work. If the uniforms were a color other than white I would have suggested leaving the image in color, but since they're white, I think a complete B&W would serve the image better.

Thanks for all the feedback....just thought the flag in color said American hero.....

23 years in the Navy, just thought it was appropriate....

Thanks for all the feedback....just thought the flag in color said American hero.....

23 years in the Navy, just thought it was appropriate....
That is why I like your shot here...I understand how you feel and what you wanted to convey. It was a very good shot so please do not beat yourself for not being able to please everyone. Not many can relate to the sentiment you feel about this shot.
Cheers
Izzie

Selective color is just one of those things. It was a neat idea once... for a very short period of time... and then quickly became very cliché, and was frequently employed by people who didn't know enough to make a good image without it. To date, I have not see a selective color image that actually worked. Totally understand the draw of making the red come out, but I think you'll find that the average person on the street will like it... and photographers will not.

Sorry for your (and obviously your spouse's) loss.

The SC on this one is much better than most that I have seen; it does, indeed, draw your attention to the flag, which seems to be your intent. I would like to see the full color version because I think it would stand on it's own. Maybe tone down the background a bit with a layered edit.

I think it is great. I have had a few military funerals in my family and that flag means a lot. Definitely a moment that will bring you to tears. I wouldn't change it

If I ever die, I will be buried in Arlington National Cemetery, Old Guard firing salute, caissons, black horses, the entire setup.
I wish I could be there to enjoy it.
I figure that will be a memorable moment and might as well give the family some impressive memories to make up for the small estate. :wink:

In my opinion this is a strong image, but the selective coloring takes away from that a little bit. It definitely draws your eye into the flag, but for me what makes the image is all of the other components as well. The salute, the uniforms, the flag... I like the image as a whole for the story it tells and emotion it evokes. I would probably do a black and white conversion (simply because I love black and white for a strong emotional shot) but color would be great too.

I think people only say it takes away from the image, because that's the popular thing to
say and it skews the perception of people in the photography world. I've seen some very powerful
SC images here and they were met with similar comments.

As a Navy Vet myself, I buried many honorable men and women during my 5 year tenure while a part of Honor Guard and can relate to this image.
I personally think the SC works well, but in terms of the image itself, I don't like the angle. I think this could have been much more powerful as a symmetrical composition.
I don't know if you had the opportunity to change your position, and sometimes the environment just won't allow suggestions but I find the flowers and the landscape take away from this.

Thank you for your, and your ex-father in laws service.

If I ever die, I will be buried in Arlington National Cemetery, Old Guard firing salute, caissons, black horses, the entire setup.
I wish I could be there to enjoy it.
I figure that will be a memorable moment and might as well give the family some impressive memories to make up for the small estate. :wink:

I like that "If" comment

Lew bathes regularly in a Lazarus pit.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back