Milky way and meteorite

bertsirkin

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.photobert.com, http
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I don't often post on photo forums, but thought I'd post this image here, as it's so unique.

This image was shot this in Portal, AZ on August 29, 2022. I was shooting the milky way with my wife with 20 second exposures. After I started an exposure, a meteorite streaked thru the sky and literally wowed us. We continued talking about what we saw for a minute or so. I continued shooting the milky way. I hadn’t realized that I actually caught the meteorite. It wasn’t until I reviewed my images on my laptop that I realized that I actually captured the meteorite along with the milky way.

Attachments

• NIKON D850_3088997__8503384-1400.jpg
    NIKON D850_3088997__8503384-1400.jpg
    399 KB · Views: 44
I don't often post on photo forums, but thought I'd post this image here, as it's so unique.

This image was shot this in Portal, AZ on August 29, 2022. I was shooting the milky way with my wife with 20 second exposures. After I started an exposure, a meteorite streaked thru the sky and literally wowed us. We continued talking about what we saw for a minute or so. I continued shooting the milky way. I hadn’t realized that I actually caught the meteorite. It wasn’t until I reviewed my images on my laptop that I realized that I actually captured the meteorite along with the milky way.
What a great shot.

Since I live in New Jersey, the light pollution is so bad you can barely see the sky much less the Milky Way. Nice shot.

Awesome shot and a very interesting resource.

That is beautiful to look at - terrific shot! A wonderful example of a "happy accident" since you didn't realize you caught it.

Congrats on this amazing image - love it! Thanks for the link, too - light pollution can be a real issue.

That is beautiful to look at - terrific shot! A wonderful example of a "happy accident" since you didn't realize you caught it.

Congrats on this amazing image - love it! Thanks for the link, too - light pollution can be a real issue.
It's been estimated that 80% of the world's population has never seen the milky way because of light pollution. Unfortunately most people, myself included, has to travel a distance to see it. Our cameras have a "super power" in their ability to capture more than our eyes can see. When our eyes adapt to night-time vision, we lose the ability to see most color, and we can never see what a modern camera sensor can see when exposed for a relatively long time (e.g., 20 seconds).

Most reactions

New Topics

Back