Mill Creek Waterfall - C&C

Bo4key

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Finally got around to editing my first attempt at shooting a waterfall. This one is small but it's near my house and I thought it would be nice to practice on and make my first attempt. I shot about 80-90 frames, experimenting a lot. Most didn't turn out but I learned a fair bit.

Used a CPL
3.2 sec
ISO 100
f/22 (Think I need a ND filter, even though I was in the trees and it was overcast, I needed a small aperture to get the affect on the water. I think I was pushing the limits)
17 mm
Tamron 17-55 f/2.8

Mill Creek Falls by FourB Photography, on Flickr

Adjustments in LR 5

Excellent job color palette speaks and the water tells us its current and temperature---

Any one see some areas for improvement?

I really rely on you guys to hit me between the eyes and help me get better.

I like the low POV -- it helps create some foreground interest, but I can't help wondering if you'd been able to get a better view of the cascade off to the left if you'd moved into the stream a bit. I bet just below those rocks on the right with the rocks in the foreground. You just might be able to get a sense of R-L-R movement as the water came down past you.

The pic looks awesome!

I tried doing a water fall pic this weekend, but the waterfall was in full sun light. I could have definitely benefited from an ND filter. Even using a CPL, the slowest shutter speed I could get was 1/3s with a similar f-stop as you before things would become overexposed. I really wanted to go into the "seconds" for shutter speed to get a much smoother water look.

I like the low POV -- it helps create some foreground interest, but I can't help wondering if you'd been able to get a better view of the cascade off to the left if you'd moved into the stream a bit. I bet just below those rocks on the right with the rocks in the foreground. You just might be able to get a sense of R-L-R movement as the water came down past you.

This is definitely my plan the next time I go back. I wanted to try a couple of different compositions but wasn't wearing the appropriate clothing, next time I will plan a little better.

I tried a couple from above the falls, just trying to capture the water movement but they were uninteresting.

I usually find that shooting from above is tough -- the elevation flattens all the good stuff away from me most of the time. Good luck with the next attempt!

Posted this shot to 500px, and within an hour had made it to the "Popular" page. I think it peaked at 96.2. This is the first time I've had an image accomplish this.

Sorry for the shameless self promotion, but I'm pretty excited about it.

500px / Mill Creek Falls by Tyrell Boake

I like it! It's a nice scene and would have been nice to see it from more angles. I think the colors are pretty rich, but definitely could see where an ND filter would come in handy. Otherwise, your shutter speed is good and personally, I wouldn't go past 3 seconds. I like to see a bit of "real" water in the fall rather than just cloud (which looks fake to me). Great first attempt and good luck on future falls!

For me, it could have used a little tweaking in Lightroom. Just my .02

Jake

Jake

Sorry, but I'm not a fan of purple water.

Jake

Weird, musta been in the download, edit, export, upload process. Because it doesn't look purple in lightroom...

Sorry, but I'm not a fan of purple water.

Weird, musta been in the download, edit, export, upload process. Because it doesn't look purple in lightroom...

I went back and fixed it:

Jake

Thanks for the input but I find the greens and yellows to be over saturated and it causes a loss of detail in the rocks. It also borders on an HDR look that seems unnatural to me.

Most reactions

Back