Mimicking shots?

10acres

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Is it wrong of me to want to mimick or reproduce shots that I am seeing of Italy? I am going to Italy in the fall and am seeing some great photos taken by others. I want to(if I am able to) capture those shots for myself also.

If I'm this reading right, you're asking about the "tripod holes syndrome." Record shots are fine. But do shoot what interests you, too. Buy post cards otherwise. Make your own images of what you feel characterizes a place for you.

I don’t know what “tripod holes syndrome” is. I plan on shooting what interest me as we walk around, but there are certain views that have already sparked an interest in me.

I don’t know what “tripod holes syndrome” is. I plan on shooting what interest me as we walk around, but there are certain views that have already sparked an interest in me.
Taking a shot from the same place used in iconic shots.

After thinking about this, it’s probably going to entail too much time and we don’t have a lot of time in each city.

It's unhelped really in a lot of places. Often in natural surroundings there will only be a small viewing platform of the scene available and taking the standard snapshot with no immediate foreground or what not is pretty much all you can get. It is what it is.

Not at all! One of my favorite views is one that was used by Ravensburger for a jigsaw puzzle. It happened to be of a medieval gatehouse called the Roedelseer Tor in the village of Iphofen in Germany. It was of particular interest to me because my mother grew up in Iphofen during the war years. I was able to "mimic" the shot used by Ravenburger in 1982, but unfortunately I can't find the photo album it is stored in. Guess I'll have to go back to Germany and do it again. There are sevral other shots I'd like to "mimic" as well, in Rothenburg ob der Tauber and Vorpswede and a few other locations in Germany. No, it's not wrong.

It's not really possible to stand in the same place and not shoot very similar images. It's a little work and imagination to do something different from the same point of view. But it can be done, you just have to use your mind's eye and let it roam around free.

Shoot what you like when you see it and don't worry if someone else, (or a few thousand), has shot a similar scene.

As you mentioned it depends on how much time you have. If you purely going on a photography vacation as opposed to a vacation with your wife/ family then you would allow time to replicate those shots you like. Otherwise just take shots as you go along. Of course if you want a sunrise shot just leave the wife in bed. :)

Is it wrong to shoot the Grand Canyon, the Statue of liberty, the White House? You would be hard pressed to get a shot, that dozens of folks thought was a unique photo.

Indeed, many folks unabashedly try to duplicate Ansul Adams and other photographic masters. There is no reason to be "Self-Taught" when you can learn from the great masters of the art, be they alive or dead.

Some people do pick up musical instruments and become "classical music" musicians, but most take lessons and study the craft.

Most reactions

Back