Mini Boom Arm: Must Brands Match?

piccadilley

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hello there!

I'm looking to add a boom arm to my Impact light stand: Impact Air Cushioned Light Stand Black - 10 3m LS-10AB B H

BH recommends getting the Impact Mini Boom Arm, but I'm curious if I can deviate from Impact and get another brand. Ideally I'd like to select one of the cheaper boom arms seen on Amazon. Are boom armholders on light stands a universal size, or does the brand really matter?

I'll be using this with a Canon 430EX II.

Impact Mini Boom Arm: Impact Mini Boom Arm - 5 3 3045 B H Photo Video

Amazon Boom Arms: Amazon.com mini boom arm

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
You want to spend LESS than $33 on a boom arm? :eek: What do you want to put on it?

They're semi-unversal; there are two types: The type that clamps onto the vertical riser of the lightstand and the type that sit on the spigot on top. Those which attach by the spigot are pretty much universal; those which clamp on to the boom arm are universal as long as the diameters match.

I would strongly recommend holding off; if funds are a concern, save up some more money. Even an inexpensive speedlight is worth at least the cost the stand and boom you have linked to, and would be pretty much dead if the stand let go. Like tripods, lightstand are most definitely a 'stronger (read more expensive) is better' item, and I would suggest thinking more in the $150-200 range for a stand and boom than the $50-75.

I agree with Tirediron. Those plastic clamps are abysmal. I had a couple of them but they were a nightmare to use and never felt very stable. Also they aren't very precise when it comes to tilting the boom arm, due to the teeth. Save up or look on ebay for a Manfrotto or Calumet pivot boom clamp and get a good quality arm too. If you buy cheap, you often buy twice, as I did. I now have a heavy duty boom arm and pivot and am comfortable placing my PCB Einstein on it with a large softbox or beauty dish, because I know it's not going anywhere. Also, make sure to add some sandbags to your order if you don't have them already. Even seemingly lightweight setups can cause a stand to tip, when the centre of mass is shifted so far off axis.

Message received!

I'm putting a 43' shoot-through umbrella on the end and firing at Canon 430EX II speedlite, which of course I won't want to break. I've been using this stand with the aforementioned speedlite and a small impact softbox on it for indoor use only and it seems to do the trick for such lightweight gear. Would you recommend getting a stronger stand and boom in general, or will this small impact work for my needs?

At this point, I'm only shooting indoors, but at some point I'll probably want to take it outside.

Message received!

I'm putting a 43' shoot-through umbrella on the end and firing at Canon 430EX II speedlite, which of course I won't want to break. I've been using this stand with the aforementioned speedlite and a small impact softbox on it for indoor use only and it seems to do the trick for such lightweight gear. Would you recommend getting a stronger stand and boom in general, or will this small impact work for my needs?

At this point, I'm only shooting indoors, but at some point I'll probably want to take it outside.

Yup. As your photography kit grows you will probably move on to more light modifiers and even step away from speedlites in favour of studio strobes with modeling lamps. If you'll use the current setup outdoors, then definitely. When wind catches an umbrella, the forces created can be considerable, so having something a bit more meaty will be a good idea.

Just looking at your first link, a 1.75lb maximum load is a bit of a joke.
upload_2015-2-2_18-45-29.png

You may not be thinking this way yet, but often the cheap becomes expensive. A monolight and medium sized modifier can easily exceed 10lb.

Also, if you haven't bought the light stand you want the boom arm to go on yet, here's one description you may want to pay attention to........ air cushioned.

Attachments

• upload_2015-2-2_18-44-52.png
    upload_2015-2-2_18-44-52.png
    42.1 KB · Views: 216
Just looking at your first link, a 1.75lb maximum load is a bit of a joke.
View attachment 94623

You may not be thinking this way yet, but often the cheap becomes expensive. A monolight and medium sized modifier can easily exceed 10lb.

Also, if you haven't bought the light stand you want the boom arm to go on yet, here's one description you may want to pay attention to........ air cushioned.

Thank you! I do have the air cushioned light stand already, and that's definitely something I'll get for stands going forward. I see where you're coming from regarding the weight, and I'll be sure that might next stand purchase holds more. The one I'm currently using was bought by my work, and it's okay for right now because I'm just using small, lightweight off-camera flashes with lightweight modifiers. But I'll definitely be moving up soon, and will need to get a sturdier stand to support my equipment.

Message received!

Yup. As your photography kit grows you will probably move on to more light modifiers and even step away from speedlites in favour of studio strobes with modeling lamps. If you'll use the current setup outdoors, then definitely. When wind catches an umbrella, the forces created can be considerable, so having something a bit more meaty will be a good idea.

Great, thank you!

....When wind catches an umbrella, the forces created can be considerable, so having something a bit more meaty will be a good idea.
Yup... 'cause I don't know ANYONE who has ever had to chase his lighting gear through a park when the wind picked up unexpectedly! :rolleyes-39:

Most reactions

Back