Miniature strobes (180w) for portraiture and tabletop shooting - thoughts? Opinions?

plethora

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hello everybody,

I'm not new to photography, but I don't have as much knowledge when it comes to different types of strobes as I'd like. I'm very accustomed to using Elinchrom D-Lites, very comfortable with them, and they have been my primary lights for most of my shoots since I finished university. However, I have only ever been able to rent or borrow them, and I'm now looking to buy some lights. I can't afford the set I'd ideally like right now, so I'm looking at some temporary sets just to get me started. The set I'm looking at in particular is a set of 3 180w miniature strobes (with softboxes and umbrellas included). I've never used miniature strobes or lights with this low wattage. The primary things I'd like to be using these lights for are small tabletop shoots and portrait shoots, with the potential for larger group shoots (5-10 people). I'd love it if anybody here could tell me if they think investing in these miniature strobes is a bad idea considering what I'd like to use them for. Are miniature strobes with low wattage best for tabletop shooting only, or can they be used with softboxes and umbrellas to do some portrait shooting? This is the type of light: Aliexpress.com : Buy K180A 180ws Photo Studio Mini Strobe Flash Monolight PSLF1 from Reliable studio strobe suppliers on eLightup - Inno Technology Group Limited though I would be buying them through an individual, not aliexpress. I shoot with a Nikon D3000, if that info is of any use here, also.

Thanks a lot!

Most reactions

Back