minipods

danir

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I own a Nikon N80, and I'm looking for the smallest tripod that can support it (plus the 70-300 lens). I could not find any minipod that supports the weight.
Does anyone know of such a minipod?

Sorry, no, I don't, particularly not with the long zoom lens. Mine would not support my 350D and the Sigma 70-300mm, either. It only works with the small compact Powershot. The 350D will only just fall onto its "nose"...

I have a couple mini-pods...but I don't think I've ever tried them with my 70-300 lens. They might work...as long as one leg is directly under the lens.

Another thing you might try is a bean bag. Just put the camera onto the surface (ground, car, table etc) and then use the bean bag to prop up the lens.

Thanks,
The bean bag is a nice idea.

As Big Mike said, beanbags [old socks stuffed with dried Navy beans] will certainly get the dog walked. If you're after precise positioning, here are a couple of additional possibilities.

If cost is not an object, you can hit the scientific supply sites and pick up a ring stand and a clamp or two. Not an elegant solution to be sure, but it should work. You can place a weight on the ring stand base to counter any 'Kamakazi nosedive' tendencies. It should also be possible to strip the head from a 'pocket' tripod and epoxy it to the clamp.

As an alternative, some older tripods such as the Star D series had center posts which are reversible. This puts the head between the legs of the tripod and as low to the ground as you wish.

I was actually looking for a minipod not because of the hight but because I like to travel as light as possible. I was just looking for something that fold really small.

danir said:
I was actually looking for a minipod not because of the hight but because I like to travel as light as possible. I was just looking for something that fold really small.

Another option is the monopod. It really can help stabilize your camera. It isn't a tripod but it is better than hand held. It folds up pretty small. It also makes a good walking stick if you decide not to fold it up.

Most reactions

Back