Minolta Autocord focusing lever question

invisible

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Website
www.federicobuchbinder.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I've just got myself a Minolta Autocord. It's in pretty good shape, the shooting lens in particular looking like it has never seen the light of day before. Everything seems to be in perfect working order, including the much-maligned focusing lever – intact, and moving smoothly.

The question is: was the focusing lever prone to break in all Autocord models? Or later models were actually spared of the problem? (Mine is a Model I, from 1965.)

Thanks for your help, guys.

I don't know if it was all models but it is pretty common to find them with that part broken. Minolta may have beefed up that part on the later models, I'm not sure.

I don't know if it was all models but it is pretty common to find them with that part broken. Minolta may have beefed up that part on the later models, I'm not sure.
That's what I'm thinking/hoping too, but would like to confirm – hence the question. If my version of the camera is also prone to break, then I'm going to baby it 24/7. But if Minolta finally smartened up after 10 years of broken levers, then I can just relax and enjoy the camera.

Because of your question ... I just broke the focus knob off of my wife's Autocord (1958) while adjusting the focus (she is not too happy about it) !!
Slight vertical force on the lever caused the problem ... that it the weak point.

It appears that the metal they used is very brittle, so it does not bend ... therefore causing breakage.
Now I have to figure out how to fix it, or replace the lever/mechanism.

Because of your question ... I just broke the focus knob off of my wife's Autocord (1958) while adjusting the focus (she is not too happy about it) !!
Slight vertical force on the lever caused the problem ... that it the weak point.

It appears that the metal they used is very brittle, so it does not bend ... therefore causing breakage.
Now I have to figure out how to fix it, or replace the lever/mechanism.
Ugh, that's not good! I feel partly responsible for this mess. Here's some help:

Minolta Autocord Focus Knob Repair for Dummies | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
and
Minolta Autocord Restoration Project - a set on Flickr

Yeah, saw those already.

DO NOT put any up/down force on the focus knob !!!

I am going to discuss this with a friend of mine who works with metal to see if there is a way of welding/soldering it.
I really do not want to build a new mechanism.

From what I have read on net ... it appears that all Autocords have the same metal material for the lever/knob ... I have seen an ad for the CDS (later model) with broken off focus knob.

Not really your fault ... I suspect it was going to happen at some point when she was going to use it, which would have been worse.

Maybe I can find another and replace parts ... though I just put new leather on it which I will have to remove.

Karl has emailed me about his servicing and pricing.
I will have to think about doing this myself or sending it to Karl.

He did add some info about the focus lever:

"Focus levers that are bent due to impact should not be straightened out because this will definitely break the focus lever (the zinc aluminum tin alloy used for the focus lever work hardens and cracks very easily). A properly lubricated focus helix will prevent the majority of focus lever breakage problems."
"...most focus levers are broken due to the helix grease hardening and then someone forcing the lever. The other cause of broken focus levers is impact to the focus knob/front of camera. If the camera is carried with the focus at infinity then the focus knob is adequately protected and shouldn't be subject to bumps/bruises."

A properly lubricated focus helix will prevent the majority of focus lever breakage problems."
"...most focus levers are broken due to the helix grease hardening and then someone forcing the lever.
Yes, that's what I had read – the grease hardens with time and this, along with the not-so-sturdy material the lever is made of, is what creates the problem.

Ok, can't weld zinc aluminum ... so, I am going to try some JB Weld to adhere the knob to the lever (I will have to sacrifice the distance plate).

... I also found this note in an APUG post:

"Also, if you open the back door with the focus in the midrange, the back will swing and press to break/bend the focus lever."

... I also found this note in an APUG post:

"Also, if you open the back door with the focus in the midrange, the back will swing and press to break/bend the focus lever."
Yes, I've just confirmed this (without breaking the lever, mind you). What were these engineers thinking?

My friend explained to me that the zinc-aluminum was a very easy metal to use in molds, so was used a lot in the old days.
Too bad that it gets brittle.

My friend explained to me that the zinc-aluminum was a very easy metal to use in molds, so was used a lot in the old days.
Too bad that it gets brittle.
My thought was, knowing that the material was brittle, how on earth can they not prevent the back door hitting the focus lever when it's placed in the midrange?

This is a stunning camera, with a classic look, in some ways more advanced than my Rolleiflex... yet the issue above seems like a rookie mistake :)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back