Minolta Camera

Efergoh

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Alright...I'm shopping for a digital SLR...the local camera shop (the only one in town) has a Minolta MaximD5 (I think that is the model name) that they have been sitting on for more than a year. This shop used to deal primarily in cameras (new & used), but have switched their focus from cameras to printing and framing. The owner is looking to get out of this Minolta for several reasons.

The price on the box is $889 and it comes with the body, a 28-70mm lens, and download cable (no memory cards). Like I said, the owner wants to get rid of it, and wants me to make an offer.

I don't know enough about DSLR cameras to make an intelligent offer, so I left with a "lemme think about it."

Now, I won't be printing murals with this thing, but I would like to be able to print larger prints like 11x14 or 16x20. So, would I be able to make a fine print with this camera at those dimensions? If not then the point is moot...

What should I offer this guy for the camera? I know minolta doesn't even make cameras anymore, and that Sony is now handling service for their cameras. Would it be too bold to tell the owner that I will give him the $889 if he throws in a 200mm lens?

Too bold? No way, if anything I'd say not bold enough. You can actually get the new Sony Alpha (the Sony replacement for the 5D) for around the same price, and that offers shake reduction and 10 megapixels. Now the 5D is a very good camera but $889 seems a bit steep for a discontinued DSLR made by a firm that effectively no longer exists. In fact you can now easily get a 7D (better than the 5D, and IMO better than the Sony too) for $800, or well below if you shop around. Frankly if they want to get rid of the 5D they can afford to let it go for a lot less than $889, unless it comes with some really special lenses.

As for being able to print larger prints, I'm just going to steer clear of the whole megapixels/dpi issue and say yes, you can. With a good clean shot and the right processing it should be very possible; as possible as with any of the current range of 6/8/10-megapixel consumer DSLRs I expect.

Yup...I did some surfing...found the D5 on ebay for less than 7 bills. That was for the same kit being offered here in town...

$900 will buy a lot of DSLR new, I would have a look elsewhere for something a bit newer and higher spec if possible. (you also gotta ask why he's moving away from it? Is it not flexible enough for him?)

Rob

Rob said:
you also gotta ask why he's moving away from it?

Because Minolta doesn't make cameras anymore.

Sony bought out the technology, and has begun production of their own line of cameras. The new Sony Alpha is a 10.2 mega pixel camera that is more or less the same thing as the Maxxum 5D ('cept that the 5D is 6.1)

Sony is now handling service for Milota cameras. I don't know how the warranty will cross over or if it will at all. All of the lenses than Sony is producing and going to produce will be compatable with the latest line of Minoltas.

I went back to the shop that has the 5D, and did a little dickering. He is going to sell it to me for $699 out the door. He is swallowing the sales tax. I also got him to throw in a 512 compact flash card if I buy a second lens.

I'll be putting it on layaway since I am as broke as a joke. :D

What do 5D's go for on E-bay?
That's what he can get, if he goes to the trouble of posting it there, yada yada yada.
You offer him 100 bucks less than the E-bay price, and tell him you save him all that E-bay hoopla. Tell him to take it or leave it, because it's not worth spending more time on.
Like Zaph and Rob said, for that kind of money look at the latest crop of models. Not discontinued ones (except when they're over 70 years old).

Hey efergoh -

Though you've likely taken action - yea or nay - I'd say make an offer - though i'd not drop much more than 700 or so depending on condition, accessories, etc. To wit, the bundled 28-70 lens is pro quality and has an excellent optical reputation, but is occassionally said to be a bit slow on the focus (an across-the-board criticism of Minolta - not the fastest game in town). Also make sure it is max. 70mm focal length. The 28-75mm is not as sharp, but still captures beautiful images.

I just picked up my first dSLR - the KM 7D - and as Zaph said, it is superb! I think the 5D made some QC upgrades, flash improvements and maybe increased AF speed too, but doesn't have all the buttons/knobs/versatility of the 7D. I don't think you'll be disappointed with the 5D. BTW, start watching for the scuttlebut on Sony's dSLR upgrade - lotsa rumors about a new semi-pro model coming from Sony. They're HUGE and definitely in it for the long haul - they're among the best professional broadcast video camera manufacturers and have been for a long time - i am trying to NOT be a fanboy just excited to see my lenses not going by the wayside!

I've been using Minolta AF (and MF too) gear for quite a while and love the colors. IMHO Minolta does (did) color rendition (saturation, tonal quality, "bokeh", yadda yadda yadda) nicer than the others and with lens sharpness certainly on par (considering apples to apples - pro lenses to pro lenses). I believe Sony will continue this as many Minolta engineer types went to Sony at the buy-out. Their A100 introduction to the dSLR market started a ruckus in the entry-level ring.

A great site for Minolta (konica) camera/lens/CF card evals is www (dot) dyxum (dot) com. Check out what Minolta users say about their gear there - they are an unscrupulous bunch and tend to be hyper-critical and brutally honest about their gear's short-falls.

Happy hunting

ft

Yeah, I put the 5D on layaway. Ended up getting the camera for $699, added a second lens, CF memory card, and some other odds and ends, brought me to $1000.

My girlfriend just bought the Sony Alpha 10.2
She loves it and has not left the house without it since it arrived.

Nice! And you can share and swap lenses - what could be more romantic :lol:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back