Minolta / Sony alpha (a-mount) lens database

Ok, question to those Sony/Maxxum users ... what are the best lenses you have used that are at a bargain price ?

Here is my list:

Minolta AF 50mm f/1.7
- sharp and bright lens ... $90

Minolta AF 28-135mm
- sharpest lens I have. It is not fast, but IQ is great ... $250

I have actually been considering getting a Sony DSLR - as I have a few Minolta AF lenses left over from the pre-digital days...

I can't remember exactly what they are (and they are currently buried in the closet), but something like a 24-70 and a 55-200 (or something close to that)... They're not great lenses though...

I have the Minolta Maxxum AF 24-85mm ... which is a nice lens, though not as good as my 28-135mm.
I picked the 24-85mm up for $100.00

All my lenes are in my Sig...I just got the 50mm f/1.8 and LOVE it....I did purchase new and paid retail but thats how I roll....lol

Just want the warranty and knowing that my fat fingers are the only to have fondled it.

O|||||||O said:
I have actually been considering getting a Sony DSLR - as I have a few Minolta AF lenses left over from the pre-digital days...

I can't remember exactly what they are (and they are currently buried in the closet), but something like a 24-70 and a 55-200 (or something close to that)... They're not great lenses though...

Thing is Minolta lenses are far ahead of others that even the cheaper lenses are really good.

My favorite is the Minolta 70-210 f4 "beercan" as sharp as a lens can be and you can find them for around $150 if you're lucky. The other one I like is the 50 f1.7 another great lens for about $50. I shoot Sony because I had a Minolta 35mm and the lenses fit Sony so--.

My favorite is the Minolta 70-210 f4 "beercan" as sharp as a lens can be and you can find them for around $150 if you're lucky. The other one I like is the 50 f1.7 another great lens for about $50. I shoot Sony because I had a Minolta 35mm and the lenses fit Sony so--.
I have both of these, and they're awesome. I actually got the Beercan with a lot which I purchased from Craigslist. It had a nice bag, two cameras (Maxxum 7000 and a Yashica Electro 35g) some lenses/filters etc...all for $50. The lens is in brand new condition...I mean PERFECT. No wear, no oil on the aperture blades, nothing...still has the QC Inspection sticker on it! The 50/1.7 I got out of some old guy's barn for $20. Again, brand new condition, no wear, nothing. Like it was never touched.

My favorite lens is my sigma 70-210mm f2.8 apo. The AF is kinda busted and only works half of the time so I almost always use it in manual but the glass is amazing. Very sharp until you get past about 150mm. Weighs a ton though. I also have a minolta 28-85mm 3.5-4.5. Got it for $60. Not too impressed with this lens. It can be useful since it gives nice bokeh but focus is always somewhat soft. I would not recommend this lens to anyone. My kit lens is sharper.

I did borrow a friends sigma 10-20mm F3.5. Very nice lens. I was hitting shots at night handheld and getting almost no noise even at iso 1600. Worth every penny of the $650 they sell it for.

I am also looking at getting a tamron 17-50mm f2.8. I have not tested the sony version but a friend has one for his nikon and its a pretty nice lens for the price. Very sharp and has nice bokeh.

We did not want to pick up the 70-200mm f/2.8 .. too heavy, so we got the Sigma 50-150mm f/2.8.
I have to say that this is the sharpest zoom (next to my Maxxum 28-135mm) that I have ever used.

The Sigma AF 50mm f/2.8 macro is a cheap and very sharp lens also.

If I can find Minolta lens, do they connect directly on to the body of the camera or do I have to purchase an adaptor? What would be the sharpest lens (70 to 300 mm) with either an Minolta or Sony?

You need to find lenses with a Minolta A-mount ... all Minolta branded A-mount are labeled Maxxum and are compatible with the Sony DSLR/SLT cameras.
If you see references to Minolta MD ... that's for the manual focus cameras only.

The Sony 70-300mm G has been highly rated.
The Minolta 75-300mm "beer can" is still rated high but I think the Sony G beats it ... though the beer can beats the Sony in price.

If I can find Minolta lens, do they connect directly on to the body of the camera or do I have to purchase an adaptor? What would be the sharpest lens (70 to 300 mm) with either an Minolta or Sony?

Check this periodically. They have good deals on really great lenses.

Sigma Outlet Shop | sigmaphoto.com

Most reactions

Back