Mirrorless focal length question

Dhalevi

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can anyone explain me how to choose a mirrorless lens?
How does the mm (like 18-55) works?
If regular dslr uses 18-200 mm what does it mean Ib mirrorless cameras?

Focal length is done the same on dslr and mirrorless. It's based on full frame or 35mm lens. You then apply crop factor.

18-55 mm lens on apsc dslr gives field of view of approximately 27-82mm on Nikon, or 28-85 approx on Canon.

If you use a mirror less apsc 18-55 is same, if you use m43, crop factors differ so it's approx 14-42 lens , Fuji or Sony is 18-55 mm

Can you explain it again please?
Lets say I'm buying 18-55 lens.
What do I need to look at in the camera ( sensor Size/...) and what calculation do I need to do?
Thanks!

You have to first understand what size of sensor you are buying in the camera.

Mirrorless comes in all sizes from a FullFrame 35mm sensor to small sensors.

The size of the sensor determines the "crop"
35mm FullFrame sensor = 1 to 1
APS-C sensor = 1.5x (or 1.6x) to 1
other smaller sizes increase that amount ==> https://lensvid.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/Sensors-size-01-01.jpg
as below - crop factor is the 4th row.
Sensors-size-01-01.jpg

You then take that crop factor, such as 1.5x for APS-C and multiple it to the lens focal length.
So a 18-55 on a APS-C sensor would
18 x 1.5 - 55 x 1.5 = 27 - 82.5 in perceived field of view

So just looking at SONY mirrorless cameras ONLY
==> DSLR-like Cameras | Full Frame Mirrorless Cameras | Sony US

the first & second row is all FF sensors. Thus a 1x crop factor. 18-55 would be 18-55

the 3rd, 4th rows are APS-C and thus are 1.5 crop factor. 18-55 would be 27-82.5

A Canon EOS M10 is supposedly a APS-C sensor

PowerShot G9x is a 1.0 inch sensor which is a 2.7x crop factor, thus a 18-55 would be 49 - 149

Thus you have to first determine the sensor size before you figure out the crop factor.

The crop factor made the assumption that people are familiar to 35mm camera. They made the assumption that people would know what it looks like in the viewfinder for a certain focal length lens when mounted on a 35mm camera. For example it makes the assumption that you know what the view is when you have a 50mm lens on the 35mm camera.
For people who are not familiar with the 35mm camera and in fact nowaday many people never used a 35mm camera then it may be easier to describe by angle of view / focal length.

Reactions: Ido
astroNikon has pretty much covered it. It's exactly the same for mirrorless than for DSLRs except for the sizes of the sensors.
I don't think there are currently any mirrorless cameras with sensors bigger than full frame, or any DSLRs with sensors smaller than 4/3. The most common sizes are covered by both alternatives.

It's exactly the same for mirrorless than for DSLRs except for the sizes of the sensors.
I don't think there are currently any mirrorless cameras with sensors bigger than full frame, or any DSLRs with sensors smaller than 4/3. The most common sizes are covered by both alternatives.

true, I don't think there are any medium format mirrorless models (yet)
www.flickr.com/photos/mmirrorless

It's exactly the same for mirrorless than for DSLRs except for the sizes of the sensors.

Sure there are -- you just got to pay to play with the big boys:

That's a Phase One A series mirrorless medium format digital (film too) that uses an Alpa body.

Joe

It's kinda funny. My P7800 is a full DSLR featured pocket camera with no mirror box. It even has CLS (which the D3x00's don't) and a bright Digital ViewFinder, but isn't considered mirrorless as it does not have an interchangeable lens.

And isn't the Nikon V1/J1 things have a sensor smaller than 4/3rds at 1" (13.2 x 8.8mm) and an interchangeable lens ?

Last edited:

Sure there are -- you just got to pay to play with the big boys:

That's a Phase One A series mirrorless medium format digital (film too) that uses an Alpa body.

Joe

I stand corrected !

www.flickr.com/photos/mmirrorless/

Most reactions

Back