Mirrorless for backpacking the PCT? Sony A6000?

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by Austin Greene, Jul 3, 2015.

1. Austin Greene

Austin Greene Been spending a lot of time on here!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Damn, you guys are certainly making me lean towards the Fuji. My biggest concern right now is simply its low-light ability, and how the kit lens will perform for both portraits and landscapes. Since the combo would really be stretching my budget, that's what I'd have to use for the whole trip.

So for those who have used it, a couple questions:
    1) How does the kit lens perform at the extremes of its range? Are we talking sharp images across the frame, barrel distortion?
    2) How does the camera itself handle low-light situations. The ISO range isn't exactly inspiring, with a max of 6400 before heading into extended ISOs.
    3) Lastly, how does the camera handle long-exposure situations? 1-2 minute exposures are a common thing for me. The Sony A6000 has some solid examples of that working out just fine.
    4) I know the Fuji has some excellent JPEG in-camera processing, but that honestly doesn't interest me. To really pull the dynamic range I need I'll be shooting almost entirely in raw. Are its raw files pretty clean?
    5) How does the kit 16-50 f/3.5-5.6 hold up to the 18-55? It's combination with the XT10 at $800-900 seems within the budget.
    6) How do you think the body will hold up? It isn't weather sealed, and I take care of my gear, but I need to know it wont fail after its first encounter with a few sprinkles...

All told, I like the Fuji better. It seems more rugged (despite no weather sealing), and I believe that their lenses would be a higher quality. Its a tough choice...now to find copies of both for me to hold.

2. Ysarex

Ysarex Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    Another Fuji possibility is the X-E2 -- it's a couple years old -- same sensor so same raw files as the X-T1 and X-T10 but it'll save you a few $$ and it's a little smaller: Fujifilm X-E2 Mirrorless Digital Camera Kit with XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Lens - Silver 16404935

1. Kit lens performance (18-55mm) is very good. There's some distortion (it's a wide to normal zoom after all) but it's not bad and the lens is sharp. Here's an example: corn starch plant shot at the wide (18mm) end -- uncropped full-res. I deliberately did not correct distortion and I did not add any noise reduction. Input sharpening is applied but no output sharpening. Examine the lower corners and frame edges -- remind yourself it's a zoom lens. Good luck getting a Sony zoom to do that.

2. It's a Sony sensor. I'm not a low light user so I don't have any examples but given that you're not going to buy an APS class camera with better DR capability it stands to reason you're also going to get best-in-class low light performance: Photographic Dynamic Range versus ISO

3. Again not an interest of mine but I've seen numerous examples that suggest no problem.

4. Best-in-class DR for an APS sensor camera -- see link above.

dr_sample.jpg

Here's the camera JPEG for that photo so you have a better idea of the lighting contrast:

dr_jpeg.jpg

5. Can't help if you're thinking about the 16-50mm.

6. Fuji build quality is high. Only the X-T1 is weather sealed but all of the cameras are well-built.

Joe

3. DarkShadow

DarkShadow Birdographer Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Go fuji Go.The X-T10 is sexy and from what I have read of testing reviews the IQ is superb. The Video has some issue.Or the Top shelf XT-1. I love Sony Sensors in DSLR but anything else not a fan of,especially Vaio Laptops.No loss there out of the PC world,none at all.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2015
  4. PropilotBW

PropilotBW Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit

For the Mark II, It's not quite that low. It's rated at 350ish. I have gotten over 500 out of one battery. I bought a second battery also.
    I wouldn't discount the Olympus products.