Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
049-Limpkin-on-bridge-cvt-fn.jpg

157-green-heron-edge-water-cvt-fn.jpg

244-GBH-water-edge-cvt-fn.jpg

357-El-Diable-on-weir-cvt-fn.jpg

122-gator-in-shade-cvt-fn.jpg

All are very nice, Kirk. What is #1? Is #2 an American Bittern?

Thank you! #1 is a Limpkin and #2 appears to be an American Bittern. I'm glad you asked about #2 because I've been mistaking them for juvenile green herons, which are similar in appearance but they don't have the dark caps that green herons have. I'm glad I know the differences now.

Thank you! #1 is a Limpkin and #2 appears to be an American Bittern. I'm glad you asked about #2 because I've been mistaking them for juvenile green herons, which are similar in appearance but they don't have the dark caps that green herons have. I'm glad I know the differences now.

Thanks for the id's. I learned a lot by looking at both the zombiesnipers' posts in wildlife. Jr is really impressive with his knowledge of birds.

Another fine array of birds (and that thing at the end). As usual, well composed, exposed, lit and framed. With the exception of the blue Heron (grey over here) They are species I've not seen in the wild before.

Thanks for the id's. I learned a lot by looking at both the zombiesnipers' posts in wildlife. Jr is really impressive with his knowledge of birds.

You're welcome. Here's a really good web site for identifying bird species:
Green Heron Overview, All About Birds, Cornell Lab of Ornithology

Another fine array of birds (and that thing at the end). As usual, well composed, exposed, lit and framed. With the exception of the blue Heron (grey over here) They are species I've not seen in the wild before.

Thank you! I thought it was a green heron myself until I double checked and found that it's actually an American Bittern, it's head isn't dark on top. They're very similar to green herons in some ways so they're easy to mistake if you don't know the specific identifiers that tell them apart.

Thank you! I thought it was a green heron myself until I double checked and found that it's actually an American Bittern, it's head isn't dark on top. They're very similar to green herons in some ways so they're easy to mistake if you don't know the specific identifiers that tell them apart.

I was actually speaking about No 3;)

I know that now, you caught me in dumb mode, lol! I had just responded to Dean about the supposed "green heron" and I was still so focused on that that when I saw your reply I thought you'd made a mistake. Hey, at least we know now that the saying is true ... "there ain't no fool like an old fool." :biggrin-93:

About the blue heron, sometimes I and others like a pic of a bird that's close up to see the detail on the feathers and such. I could've done a portrait type pic of it and put it smack dab in the center like most people do but I chose to do sort of a hybrid with it off to one side and not quite as magnified. Sorry if you didn't like it.

I know that now, you caught me in dumb mode, lol! I had just responded to Dean about the supposed "green heron" and I was still so focused on that that when I saw your reply I thought you'd made a mistake. Hey, at least we know now that the saying is true ... "there ain't no fool like an old fool." :biggrin-93:

About the blue heron, sometimes I and others like a pic of a bird that's close up to see the detail on the feathers and such. I could've done a portrait type pic of it and put it smack dab in the center like most people do but I chose to do sort of a hybrid with it off to one side and not quite as magnified. Sorry if you didn't like it.

I never said I didn't like it you old fool:D:D

Composition is spot on as far as I'm concerned.

Nice set. I'm liking #2. It looks like he's ready to go after whatever is making those ripples in the water, or just did.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back