MN Lakeland Pt 1

kc0ltv

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I decided to go on a bit of a drive, from my home near Duluth on the western edge of giant Lake Superior (the world's largest freshwater lake, actually) to about 70 miles to the west, first intending to go on a hike (probably better called "walk" because of the terrain) in the Savanna Portage State Park, on a trail once used by Voyageurs to go between Lake Superior and the Mississippi River. However....

Picture 1:

166aufd.jpg

I ended up running from the incredibly bad mosquitoes (and other bugs)! I took this picture as I was jogging out of there...actually turned out kind of cool, I think! I'm not usually a psychedelic photographer, only sometimes by accident.

I decided to drive around, and found myself at nearby Big Sandy Lake. I had heard of the lake, but never visited. As I drove in, I noticed how beautiful it was...it turned out to work quite well for photos, despite the less than ideal time (past 7 PM). These were taken from the public access boat launch.

Picture 2:

166arrc.jpg

Picture 3 vs 4 (please tell me which one you think is composed better, or if they are both poorly done - personally I think #3 is framed better, but #4 has better lighting and follows the rule of 1/3s better).

166awi9.jpg

166axcz.jpg

And now #5...looking back to a nice forested hill on the shore.

166ay47.jpg

Please, I beg you, leave a comment of some sort - positive or negative, maybe some tips for improvement, etc. Then check out Pt 2!

the first one is really cool! I need to try this! (but without mosqitos and bugs :)
it is hard to compare 3 and 4 because those are two completely different shots. IMO I think 3 is better.

If you are not dead set against using Photoshop and the clone tool there, I would suggest you clone out the tiny bits of branch at the top of Photo 3 and that done I think Photo 3 is a lot better than Photo 4 since it offers more to look at, the eye is better directed round the lake by the bow of the first-near then-faraway shoreline, and the water texture shows better.

Lovely green in Photo 2!!!!

And I have given up on photos in the woods because of the mosquitos here! They eat me alive! I no longer go there.

LaFoto said:
If you are not dead set against using Photoshop and the clone tool there, I would suggest you clone out the tiny bits of branch at the top of Photo 3

Yup, noticed that, but didn't do it yet....I did use clone on some of the other photos, though, especially to remove an annoying blotch that appears whenever I take a very quick exposure image (why, I don't know).

Great shots. What a beautiful place.
Out of 3 and 4, I would pick the third image. I agree with LaFoto..maybe close out those branches.
Nice work. Welcome the forum btw

nice series, i love the light in #2...

Most reactions

New Topics

Back