Model Mayhem.

jwbryson1

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Showing my general lack of knowledge about this topic, but are these models that you can hire personally to pose for you to help build a portfolio, etc?

I've seen comments on the forum about them (good and bad) but what is the general consensus on MM and whether it is legitimate?

What does it cost to hire a model from this website? Is that something you just negotiate with the model?

The usual thing to do, is called TFP (or at least it used to be called that). It stands for Time For Print, in other words, the model would trade her time, for prints to use in her portfolio. Now in the digital era, it's not likely to be prints anymore, but the same thing happens.
They do the shoot for free (you do the shoot for free) and you both walk away with portfolio material.

That's all well and good, except that if you're asking for something free, you're likely to get what you pay for. In other words, models who are willing to work for free, are likely to be pretty flaky and it seems that the chances of the deal falling though are about 50/50.

I would think that if you're offering some sort of payment, you're more likely to have success...but there are plenty of photographers who have had great luck with TFP shoots.

What does it cost to hire a model from this website?
Basic membership is free, all you have to do is ask the models if they would be willing to pose for whatever you're offering.

I looked at the website the other day and all of the models I saw asked for payment. I assumed the photographer got to keep the images but I see your point on the model also building a portfolio.

I doubt my wife would be thrilled with the idea anyway. :er:

Showing my general lack of knowledge about this topic, but are these models that you can hire personally to pose for you to help build a portfolio, etc?

Yes

I've seen comments on the forum about them (good and bad) but what is the general consensus on MM and whether it is legitimate?

They are legitimate, but like any service you may have some models which will not show etc... The more experience they have the more likely to show sort of thing. Read their bios.

What does it cost to hire a model from this website? Is that something you just negotiate with the model?
Negotiate essentially. Newer models are oftne looking to build their portfolio as well and will shoot for prints to add to their port. Really experienced models will typicall want $$. It's pretty clear which will work for prints/CD and those who want $$.

You can narrow your search to models without much/any experience and maybe even if they are willing to do TFP. But like I said, you often get what you pay for.

Shooting models "generally" wont make you any money in the future. That's my observation so far.

Shooting models "generally" wont make you any money in the future. That's my observation so far.

Meaning what? That you can't sell the images for a profit?

I'm just curious about taking images of people other than the usual suspects who are tired of sitting in front of the lens.

Ugh, I loathe model mayhem. As both a former "model" (and I use that term loosely) and photographer.

I "booked" a job with this guy and his wife who needed photos for a book the guy was supposedly publishing. They found a photographer on there too, as well as 6 or 7 other "models". I was the only girl to show up. I should have just left at that point, because everything went down hill from there. The photographer was really cool though, we worked together again after that fiasco.

From a photographer's standpoint, like already mentioned, the "models" on there are flaky (as illustrated in my above anecdote). When they do show up (the "TFP" ones, at least), they aren't exactly the caliber of model a serious photographer wants to shoot. That's why you see a lot of TnA type shots on those sites; it's filled with GsWAC who have less than stellar photography skills and less than sincere intentions.

If you want someone to practice on, you're better off getting someone you know personally. Maybe your wife?

Didn't mean to thread hi-jack with stories, just wanted to give you my personal experience so you can figure out what the best option for you is :)

That's a weird thing to say.

I'd guess that the highest paid photographers shoot little else but models.

I think what he meant was there are other areas in photography where you're more likely to succeed financially. Fashion photography is so competitive and generally a hard market to break into.

That's why you see a lot of TnA type shots on those sites; it's filled with GsWAC who have less than stellar photography skills and less than sincere intentions.

GsWAC?

My wife and 7 year old hopefully will sit for portraits--I think they'll get bored quickly though. Maybe I'll offer free portraits to friends in the 'hood who'd be willing to sit for them? Not a bad idea.

I'm frustrated because I have my little studio all set up (3 lights/umbrellas/backdrop) and I've had it since X-mas, but I haven't had one weekend where I've had time to shoot. I need some "me" time! :lmao:

I don't want to do this professionally--at least not full time. I'm just a hobbyist, but I still want to get better.

In a perfect world, a company will pay both of you and the model to create an advertisement or editorial work. In reality though, most of the shots you see on modelmayhem, the photographers either pay the model $ or do a TFP. They use these photos just for entertainment/hobby. Only a small percentage of these photographers actually make $.

The chance for a model to come to you and PAY you to take their photos for their portfolio is very slim (with the amount of decent photographers who are willing to do TFP). If I were to do one (pay the model or TFP), I probably make the model dress up like a bride OR pretend to be a high school senior to reinforce my portfolio in that category.

GWAC = Guy With A Camera

It's not exactly a complimentary name to call someone. Urban Dictionary: gwac Definition #2

ETA: By serious I didn't necessarily mean pro... I know that I (as an amateur) would not want to deal with the frustration of flaky models.

Most reactions

Back