Model Release

MohaimenK

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Are you guys doing this? My manager just reminded me I should have copies of this for my own good just incase. Is this something you guys are doing that are using the photos in your websites??

Are you guys doing this? My manager just reminded me I should have copies of this for my own good just incase. Is this something you guys are doing that are using the photos in your websites??

Yes. It's not absolutely necessary for certain uses, but it's always better to have and not need that the not need and have.

I have a few I can send you. Use them or not...

Yes. It's not absolutely necessary for certain uses, but it's always better to have and not need that the not need and have.

I have a few I can send you. Use them or not...

Thanks, I just printed one off the internet but yeah do send me at [email protected] or I guess link would do? I put in there "Foto by momo & (my name)" in there. But the one I posted before of the girl at the "first model shoot" thread, you think I should keep it there or take it off until she signs a release form?

Here's what I found:

Foto By MoMo Model Release
In consideration of my engagement as a model, upon the terms herewith stated, I hereby give to Foto By MoMo & Mohaimen Kazi [photographer] his/her heirs, legal representatives and assigns, those for whom the photographer is acting, and those acting with his/her authority and permission:

a) the unrestricted right and permission to copyright and use, re-use, publish, and republish photographic portraits or pictures of me or in which I may be included intact or in part, composite or distorted in character or form, without restriction as to changes or transformations in conjunction with my own or a fictitious name, or reproduction hereof in color or otherwise, made through any and all media now or hereafter known for illustration, art, promotion, advertising, trade, or any other purpose whatsoever.

b) I also permit the use of any printed material in connection therewith.

c) I hereby relinquish any right that I may have to examine or approve the completed product or products or the advertising copy or printed matter that may be used in conjunction therewith or the use to which it may be applied.

d) I hereby release, discharge and agree to save harmless [photographer], his/her heirs, legal representatives or assigns, and all persons functioning under his/her permission or authority, or those for whom he/she is functioning, from any liability by virtue of any blurring, distortion, alteration, optical illusion, or use in composite form whether intentional or otherwise, that may occur or be produced in the taking of said picture or in any subsequent processing thereof, as well as any publication thereof, including without limitation any claims for libel or invasion of privacy.

e) I hereby affirm that I am over the age of majority and have the right to contract in my own name. I have read the above authorization, release and agreement, prior to its execution; I fully understand the contents thereof. This agreement shall be binding upon me and my heirs, legal representatives and assigns.

Print Name: _________________________________

Signed:______________________________________

Dated: ______________________________________

Address:

City:________________________________________

State/Zip:____________________________________

Phone:______________________________________

Email: ______________________________________

If a model release is needed, is determined by how an image was created and how the image is used.

A model release protects the model and the publisher of the image. Sometimes the photographer is also the publisher.

A model release is not needed for display on a personal web site, but would be needed for a web site where you promote your photography, IF , the people in the photos could be perceived as endorsing and/or sponsoring your photography business and/or the photos were made under controlled conditions.

In some states, their "Right of Publicity" laws could come into effect.

Which brings up the point that a model release you snatch off the Internet, may not actually be vaid in your state.

Consequently, I would recommend you use a boilerplate release written by qualified attornys, familiar with the ins-and-outs of publishing and model/property release law.

Fortunately, on of those is readily available at:
http://contributors.gettyimages.com...SAMPLE_Model_Release_-_English_-_Dec_2008.pdf

Getty has their release available in a number of languages, and they also have a property release.

If you have an iPhone, check this app out. That way you always have releases with you.

Model Release Forms Go Mobile with New iPhone App | CreativePro.com

I've been looking at that app.

Would something like that hold up in a legal dispute?

perfect!
yeah it should hold as Apple store is now using their iphone for that purpose and swiping credit card though it and they ask you sign w/ your finger

If you have an iPhone, check this app out. That way you always have releases with you.

Model Release Forms Go Mobile with New iPhone App | CreativePro.com

I've been looking at that app.

Would something like that hold up in a legal dispute?
I've never tested it in court, obviously. My buddy who is an attorney said the application itself is capable of creating a legally binding document. The question then becomes "how well written is the contract?" I haven't gotten legal advice on that.

I would say it's at least as good as the sample contracts you download from various websites... but then I'm not a lawyer so take that opinion with a grain of salt. :)

BTW how does this work w/ weddings? There are so many people there, do I have to get a release form signed for them?

BTW how does this work w/ weddings? There are so many people there, do I have to get a release form signed for them?
Yes, every mother's-son of them, or they have to leave! :lmao:

Have you ever attended a wedding as a guest, where a professional photographer was making images? Did they make you sign a release?

What determines if a model release is needed, is HOW a photo will be used. Until a use is determined, there is no way to tell for sure if a release will be necessary.

Visit: Model Release Primer

A Digital Photographers Guide to Model Releases a book by Dan Heller.

i've never attended a wedding like that. usually our cultural weddings, there's no issue for that but I've yet to attend an actual American wedding. I will read in to that. Thanks!

Most reactions

Back