moisture protection???????

custom100

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I have just gotten a DSLR from Santa. Now I would love to go out and take some pics, but one of the joys of living on the Northend of Vancouver Island is the rain/snow or both at the same time.

What are you gals/guys doing to protect against rain and snow.

Thanks

I typically don't shoot in wet weather but if I must, I will do my best to protect the camera with whatever I have. A towel, a hat etc. I usually have some plastic bags etc to cover it if need be.

Another concern is making sure that it has the chance to get dry. You don't want it to stay wet and start to get moldy in the camera bag. I always keep bags of silica gel in my camera bags, to absorb some of the moisture. And of course, you will want to avoid condensation...so don't bring the camera from the outdoor cold into the indoor warmth without sealing it up and letting it warm up first.

Thanks for the information both of the articals helped. I figured the ziploc bag was one of the only protection but I thought I would ask.

Some of the coolest times to shoot around here is juring the storms in the winter and the fog in the summer. I guess I will have to pick my times and be carefull.

Most dSLRs can handle at least a little moisture, but a plastic bag can be fitted in such a way that it mounts into a lens hood, which keeps it covering the whole thing. Just cut a hole for the lens then have the bag's back be where you look into the camera. If it's such driving rain that that solution won't work then you might be better off staying home-- if there are shots that you just have to have in the pouring rain, then look into a weather sealed system or rain covers-- search B&H or a similar company and see what they've got.

Cool thanks though I don't think there is any shot worth wrecking my camera, nor is it all that much fun to be out in a hard rain. So I think I can wate to get the shots, for now anyway.

I have a 40D and they can really take some abuse from sprinkly weather. I took a lot of shots after hurricane IKE and my camera was very wet but everything functions fine.

n37528082_35476876_2601.jpg

When you shoot in this weather I would use a lens hood because it reduces the water droplets on the lens.

Look into Kata bags specifically for rain. I had to shoot outside in the pouring rain with my Rebel XT and I was using towels over it - let me tell you the towels were drenched soon enough. There were some 'internal' glitches afterwards. Mind you the XT is not really a sturdy line but...

but one of the joys of living on the Northend of Vancouver Island is the rain/snow or both at the same time.

It's been some crazy weather hasn't it... We had snowflakes the size of my fist last night... Where abouts on the north end are you? I'm in between Campbell River and Courtney, thought I'd say Hi

Thanks for all the tips I'm going to look into the Kata bags right now.

I'm north of Campbell River in Port McNeill, we have definitly gotten a white Christmas this year. Though I don't think that we have gotten the amount of snow that you guys did on the south island.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back