Why do photographers spend so much $ on tripod?

a1157814a

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I met some professional photographers the other day and they told me that I would need at least $100 to get a usable tripod.
I saw some ones at the store that costs about $30 or so and after I tested them out, I felt that they were pretty stable and all and didn't see need to spend any more money?

I would not buy a $30 tripod, and $100 seems midrange. Professionals need gear that they know will work, and not have doubts that when they mount say there 600 F/4 lens on it that it will even shake. And as most professionals use gear thats quite expensive, you would like to have a nice tripod to sit that gear on. $100 tripods can take more abuse and last longer than $30 one.

Crappy tripods shake. And that sux for night shots where you up the shutter speed. Just like my midrange crappod

A tripod is something that really doesn't reflect price. Although you can get better ones with better adjust-ability and maybe sturdiness, but for the simple purpose of a tripod there really isn't a reason to break the bank. Find one that fits your needs, there usually aren't many people who need to spend hundreds of dollars on a tripod.

A good quality platform will
* provide the stability for a quality photo
* provide a secure platform that can support expensive equipment (peace of mind)
* provide the ability to make the appropriate adjustments to the position of the camera for framing

AND

still be portable enough to be carried to and from location.

A tripod certainly does have an important job to do..... and the cost is relative to how well of a job it performs. In short, a tripod is a balance between Stability, lightweight, and price.

A tripod is something that really doesn't reflect price. Although you can get better ones with better adjust-ability and maybe sturdiness, but for the simple purpose of a tripod there really isn't a reason to break the bank. Find one that fits your needs, there usually aren't many people who need to spend hundreds of dollars on a tripod.
Adjustability is pretty important... not everybody wants to tripod mount just to point the camera at the sky and lock it down in bulb...

On a windy day, a cheap tripod will move... and if you're tripod mounting in the first place, it's because you don't want the camera to move.

There are a LOT of situations where the static parts of the image need to be sharp and the subject motion shown in the image.

Some "cheap" tripods can be more stable when not fully extended, but that really restricts their usability.

Just two cents' worth from here in the south land.

I have a crappy tripod ($30 Walmart special I used for other things before getting into photography) and it sux for pictures. I will be replacing it shortly with a $100+ model that I can really use.

As mentioned, the cheap ones shake and are difficult to make precise adjustments to.

As mentioned, the cheap ones shake and are difficult to make precise adjustments to.
Right... the cheap ones can be ok indoors... if you use the timer before exposure to let the shake settle out.

Would you buy a Lamborghini and put the cheapest Walmart tires on it? If you answered yes, then you are never going to understand the concept.

If you answered no, then you just answered your own question.

I used a cheap tripod for a bit.. then bought a nicer one that was around $150 i think.

Reason I did so is with the cheap one.. I would adjust it.. and when i let go.. it would always move... So where I had wanted it wasnt where it would end up.. though it would stay there when it finally "sagged" a bit... it was annoying as hell.

Cause we can and should. Lookit to all you that want to go cheap. Why on earth would I want to sit $Ks (yes, multiple) worth of gear on some cheapass tripod? Go figure.

It's your gear.... do as you wish, just don't start a thread whinning about your tripod blowing over and your kit is all busted and $hit. You'll get no sympathy.

Cause we can and should. Lookit to all you that want to go cheap. Why on earth would I want to sit $Ks (yes, multiple) worth of gear on some cheapass tripod? Go figure.

It's your gear.... do as you wish, just don't start a thread whinning about your tripod blowing over and your kit is all busted and $hit. You'll get no sympathy.
+1 :thumbup:

I'm gonna trust $5000 worth of gear to $30 worth of tripod? Nuh-uh. My $250 head and $450 legs give me a rock solid, infinitely adjustable, totally verstatile platform that I trust.

One way to think about a tripod is that it is one item in your kit that you likely won't need to replace in the next 20-30 years... unless you buy a crappy one. ;)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back