Mojor Dust Problem!

InFocus

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hello TPF'ers,

I was looking at some shots I took the other day, and noticed some spots, in the same place in every shot. So, I did a manual cleaning where I lock up the mirror, and used my large dust blower to blow around inside.

I turned the camera back on, and set it to f/22, and took a picture. I made it WORSE!!

What do I do now? Here is a pic now.

_MG_4129.jpg

I have seen something in stores called "arctic butterfly". I dont know if this will help, or if I should just send it into Canons Service. I dont know if it will be cleaned in time though, I am going on a trip in about 3 weeks.

I dont know what to do....

LOL

My god, i'm with logan, that's got to be the worst i've ever seen as well!

Wow i thought mine was bad but it was nowhere near like that - I got a sensor brush the other day and finally got rid of all my spots even at F36 (couple really slight marks still but they are hardly noticeable).

Wow, this is bad. I would say this is so bad you should probably have it cleaned professionally. At least once a year (depending upon how many times I use my cameras in salty and sandy conditions) I have the sensor cleaned professionally. You may want to do that. It's not too expensive and, at least for me, its well worth it.

While getting ready for my trip to paris I did a few tests on my sensor, it was dirty! Not quite as bad as yours, but still bad.

I picked up the arctic butterfly. It took me about 10 minutes and my sensor is perfectly clean. I would recomend it to anyone!!

Looks like you can puck it up at a few shops in Toronto. I would recomend getting the 724 model, you can replace the brushes and it has a higher spin speed for chrging and cleaning the dust out of the brush.

It is worth a try, if it does not work you can probably return it, it does costs about the same as a cleaning from Canon or Nikon. What have you got to lose.

Hi Everyone,

thanks for the comments! Feel free to laugh, If i were reading this about someone else, I'd definitely have a chuckle.

I just went to a couple camera shops in town. they suggested the arctic butterfly kit, with the wet wipes. I dont think i'll try this myself, I'm going to take it into the canon service centre directly monday.

I just dont get what i am doing differently, because this is obviously not a common problem. When I change lenses, I have it upside down. I admit I have forgotten to turn the camera off a couple of times, but i've read some people do this all the time with no issue. Other than that, when its not in use, its stored in my camera bag. I hope i figure out what i'm doing wrong so i dont have to send the camera in for a cleaning every week!

anyways, thanks for listening! have a good weekend everyone!

Hello TPF'ers,

I was looking at some shots I took the other day, and noticed some spots, in the same place in every shot. So, I did a manual cleaning where I lock up the mirror, and used my large dust blower to blow around inside.

I turned the camera back on, and set it to f/22, and took a picture. I made it WORSE!!

What do I do now? Here is a pic now.

I have seen something in stores called "arctic butterfly". I dont know if this will help, or if I should just send it into Canons Service. I dont know if it will be cleaned in time though, I am going on a trip in about 3 weeks.

I dont know what to do....

With good hand and care is possible to clean the sensor without service. In my opinion use the copperhill sensor brush, charged with rocket blower. The brush is pretty cheap and sometimes solve all headache.

If you don't want to use the brush try the correspondent Photosol products > Eclipse or Eclipse E2.. And Sensor swab type 1 or 2.

So, I did a manual cleaning where I lock up the mirror, and used my large dust blower to blow around inside.
Did you hold the camera facing down while you did this? So that the dust falls out, rather than back onto the sensor?

With any cleaning method, you may have to try several times and keep testing it to make sure it's clean.

Yes to hold the camera facing down is a good idea, sometimes.

For me is not good because I have dust on floor. I prefer to clean the camera in carton box, something like a light tent. Each side is covered with clean paper or cloth. Using this method Im protected 80% until camera is cleaned.

Yeah, I think you definitely did the right thing getting in professionally cleaned. Especially because you said that it got worse after you used a blower, since if your environment is dusty, then you'll get more dust on the sensor every time it is exposed.

I had to get mine cleaned a week ago, and results were great.

Holy!
Wow, I hope it works out!

Wow! Were you changing a lens while someone beside you was shoveling gravel? I think there might almost be enough dirt in there to build a sandcastle.

Coincidentally enough, just this morning I found about 5 or 6 spots on my sensor. I used the self-cleaning vibration function to remove 4 and a Q-tip to remove the rest. It's really not a complicated or difficult process to clean it yourself.

The folks who get paid by Cannon to clean sensors must have the easiest job in the company.

Most reactions

Back