Mom photographers

Emerana

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I know I posted once a long while ago about this but I thought maybe because I have been around longer, more moms would reply. I know there are alot of us on here. I think it would be fun to get a discussion going.

I think being a mom photographer adds quite a few joys and challenges. On the positive side I have two cuties to practice on and a ton of friends kids too. But finding time to go out shooting is really hard. I guess it is because I am a full time (meaning 24/7) stay at home mom. When I really cant get out I have started to go do driving photo shoots. When the kids are sleepy I load them up, give them a snack and go looking for something I can shoot in or by my car. I have only done it twice. Once the kids started to cry instead of nap so I called it off and the other I found this great cemetery I could drive through (huge score!).

I really need to get a small P&S camera to take snap shots ... like when we go to the zoo or birthday parties. I kind of hate not doing my best work for every shot, but I am sick of lugging around my XTi and lenses.

So my questions to fellow photog-moms is
What are the best and worst things about being into photography and being a mom?
How do you get in time to shoot?
Do you use different cameras when you are seriously shooting verses when just getting snaps of your kids?

I hear you on getting the time to take pictures, especially if I want to do tripod shots etc. I have a 2.5 year old that likes to take off if I let go of her hand lol so I tend to mainly only shoot pics on expeditions if I my boyfriend is with me so he can keep an eye on her. I do do pics though sometimes if driving if I'm close to the car and sometimes do pics outside at home if she's absorbed in some kids TV show lol Sunsets and sunrises shots are currently sorta out of the question unless we are driving somewhere cause usually she'd be asleep or having dinner at those times if home - also my boyfriend's currently working afternoon shifts which means I cant get him to mind her at sunset time either.

I can't really get pics of her cause she knows what a camera is and as soon as it's pointed at her she'll look/run away - I did manage once to get a good one of her by pretending to sneeze while taking the pic LOL - mind you that was with a point and shoot so I didnt have to have my face/eye up to the veiwfinder at the time lol

I tend to only use the P&S now if I want to do a video.

I am also right there with you on the whole time issue. It has been really tight since we bought a house and that of course needs our attention too now. Along with the fact that DH and I both work part time, DH has a DJ company and I do photography here and there. Now I like to do photos of my kids but they hate to hold still for photos. I do have a 30 foot remote trigger for my camera and that can be a huge help for my kids. I only use my P&S if I absolutely can not use or do not have my SLR. Some times my camera phone takes better photos than my P&S. The photos never turn out with my P&S but of course it is also not a canon so I shouldn't expect much more.;) More than anything else my P&S has turned into a camera for my 3 and 7yr old to use. Since my kids are getting bigger it has got easier to take photos while they are close but I don't have to have all of my attention on them.

Yeah, both my 2.5 year old and 1.5 year old are now camera shy too. They are just so over it. I have teenage step sons too who are soooo not into getting their photos taken. Once in a while I can round them up for a group shot and they dont understand why I cant be done in one shot. I now bribe or threaten them (not a mean threat of course). Now if only I could get a pic of my little ones being nice to eachother I would be super psyched.

I also totally relate to the running thing. My son is 2.5 and very much glued to me, but my daughter is a rocket and runs at her first chance. It really makes shooting (where I have to be looking in the camera) is impossible if she is free.

Once in a while I can round them up for a group shot and they don't understand why I cant be done in one shot. I now bribe or threaten them (not a mean threat of course).
I have tried both of those. They will clean their room before letting me take pictures of them. :lol: Of course with it getting warm I am trying a new one. We can go to the park if I can take your picture before you play. :p

Yeah, both my 2.5 year old and 1.5 year old are now camera shy too. They are just so over it. I have teenage step sons too who are soooo not into getting their photos taken. Once in a while I can round them up for a group shot and they dont understand why I cant be done in one shot. I now bribe or threaten them (not a mean threat of course). Now if only I could get a pic of my little ones being nice to eachother I would be super psyched.

I also totally relate to the running thing. My son is 2.5 and very much glued to me, but my daughter is a rocket and runs at her first chance. It really makes shooting (where I have to be looking in the camera) is impossible if she is free.

I think once my daughters a little older the bribery may work to get a good pic of her but the only bribery that works at pres is if she wants something etc - like eat your food or i'll turn the tv off lol.

Maybe its a girl thing with the running also lol

What are the best and worst things about being into photography and being a mom?
the best is that I have a lifetime of memories of my son from the day he was born. good pictures, quality pictures, pictures to treasure.
the worst is that shooting him as time goes on is harder and harder as he gets irritated by the camera now and even gets violent towards the camera.

How do you get in time to shoot?

Well I shoot my son everyday. We go on playdates and I shoot my mom's friends kids endlessly. With my son right there with me.

RIght now, I'm out of school for the summer so every Tuesday, I've still been sending him to daycare and lining up shoots. Not that I really should be doing that because I can't afford it. I'm hoping that these free photo sessions will pay off one of these days with someone buying my photo's in mass quantity.

Do you use different cameras when you are seriously shooting verses when just getting snaps of your kids?

Yes and no. I take my rebel pretty much to every moms group and every outside event we attend. I dont' want to be stuck with my sh*tty p&s if I can help it.

I do have a p&s that I keep in my purse that has video capabilities also so I am NEVER Without a camera.

I have a 2yo a 4yo and a newborn.

It's challenging - I just try to keep the camera handy at all times. Right now the newborn is getting the bulk of the screen time....mostly because she can't run away.

My camera is a P&S, albeit a nice one, so I guess that question is moot.

Also it's very hot outside right now and I don't want them out (even if the Texas midday sun didn't make for lousy lighting), so we are kind of in limbo of late.

I do try to take them to a park or arboretum once a month or so and get a really good shoot in, but even that is tough with (now) 3 of them.

I've got 4 kids. 11 yr, 8yr, 4yr, 1yr. My kids were my inspiration for getting into photography. It was their photos that people started noticing. It's because of them that my business is where it's at now. My first wedding was booked SOLELY based on looking through scrapbooks of my children.

When I'm home, my camera is never in it's bag! With kids, I always want it ready.

When we go to the park, I put on a zoom lens and just sit on a bench and watch them. I get beautiful pics this way.

My biggest frustration is that I would love to experiment with some landscape type photos, travel type photos, and I don't have the money to send a family of six on a vacation just to get some pretty pics, and I can't bear to leave my children home for the a week or more just to get those same photos. I just remind myself, that my time will come where I can have a little more freedom!

As far as clients go, I am honest with them from the beginning. If they aren't able to work around my schedule so that my shoots are being done while my husband is home to watch the kids, then I do add the price of day care onto my bill. My kids are my inspiration, and my life, and they come before ANY client. Most clients find this attitude quite refreshing. Granted they aren't going to reschedule the time of their wedding just so I don't have to get a sitter. I try to be reasonable with the wedding day.

I think I remember that first thread, Emerana.

Just wanted to say again, great for all you stay-at-home moms. I don't even know why that term really needs to be in existance. You are doing your duty as a mother in raising your children.

Nope, I'm not a mom, but I'm on the other end. My wife stays at home. I know how difficult it can be in the wallet. I have a 4 year old that is absolutely photogenic, and a 7 yr old who tells me, "put the stupid camera away, Dad..." Both girls.

The reason I think the moms who stay home are great is because the children get so much more from that. That is why my wife stays home. My 7 yr old brought home straight A's through her entire 1st grade. I believe it is the result of my wife staying home and taking care of the kids.

After the story in yesterday's paper, I would definitely not put my kids in daycare. A young lady holding a daycare of 6 children in her home, turned her back for mere minutes to change a diaper. When she turned around, a 10 month old was lying on the floor unresponsive. One of the 7 year olds admitted that she picked up the 10 month old and threw her on the basement cement floor two times. The baby was pronounced dead on the way to the hospital.

So, great job to all you mothers out there who are doing the right thing by actually being a mother to your children rather than shipping them off somewhere else. I know that sometimes daycare can't be helped, but 99% of the families I know, send off their kids to daycare all day so that they can afford all the boats, 4wheelers, SUVs, etc. I guess that material things are more important than the child they have brought into this world for many out there.

Just wanted to say again, great for all you stay-at-home moms. I don't even know why that term really needs to be in existance. You are doing your duty as a mother in raising your children.

Nope, I'm not a mom, but I'm on the other end. My wife stays at home. I know how difficult it can be in the wallet. I have a 4 year old that is absolutely photogenic, and a 7 yr old who tells me, "put the stupid camera away, Dad..." Both girls.

The reason I think the moms who stay home are great is because the children get so much more from that. That is why my wife stays home. My 7 yr old brought home straight A's through her entire 1st grade. I believe it is the result of my wife staying home and taking care of the kids.

After the story in yesterday's paper, I would definitely not put my kids in daycare. A young lady holding a daycare of 6 children in her home, turned her back for mere minutes to change a diaper. When she turned around, a 10 month old was lying on the floor unresponsive. One of the 7 year olds admitted that she picked up the 10 month old and threw her on the basement cement floor two times. The baby was pronounced dead on the way to the hospital.

So, great job to all you mothers out there who are doing the right thing by actually being a mother to your children rather than shipping them off somewhere else. I know that sometimes daycare can't be helped, but 99% of the families I know, send off their kids to daycare all day so that they can afford all the boats, 4wheelers, SUVs, etc. I guess that material things are more important than the child they have brought into this world for many out there.

:thumbup: It's nice to hear from a male who's supportive of mums who stay home :)

Thats such a sad story also :( I've heard a few similar stories in the past about day care places - It does make me more adamant in a way not to send my daughter to a day care place unless its REALLY needed - actually in 2.5 years she's only been babysat once (by my brothers) and that was cause my boyfriend & I had to go to a wedding where children were strictly not allowed.

Yes, it would be lovely to stay home full time with your kids as "a mother should be doing", but I think its irresponsible to imply that daycares are unsafe or unneccesary.

What do you gather a single mother should do? Your damned if you do, damned if you don't.

If you stay home with your kid, you would need to collect assistance.. Then you get THOSE attitudes.

If you send your kid to daycare, you get the above attitudes.

Just lovely.

So, great job to all you mothers out there who are doing the right thing by actually being a mother to your children rather than shipping them off somewhere else..

totally unbelievable. If you posted this on any kind of birth club forum, or mom's website, you would have your ass chewed back out and handed to you. I'm just going to pretend I never read this and put your ass on ignore.

I think I remember that first thread, Emerana.

Yeah, sure, whatever. Both of my kids attended daycare while my wife and I both worked. I can assure you that it was not to buy 4 wheelers, SUV's, and boats. It was so that we could give them the best life possible. Both of my kids did fine in school and are now productive adults in our society.

To you gals who are stay at home moms, I salute you. It is a great way to raise your kids and you get to spend so much more time with them. And it is a very hard job, as well. However, it is well worth it. :heart:

ouch people, well i am a sole parent to my 4 daughters and at the moment i am a stay at home mum, but would like to get back out into the work force so i can supply my children with more things that they need when they get older for their education... does that make me a bad parent then? i dont think it does, but everyone is entitled to their own opinions and we all like to have the freedom of choice, and for some of us thats easier said than done... People have bills to pay and mortgages to keep making payments to and may not want to go back to work but need to for the sake of their families...

Most reactions

Back