Monitor Calibration Recommendations

nala

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
What hardware/software do you recommend for calibrating a laptop monitor? Is there much difference between the Spyder3 Pro and the Spyder3 Elite? Are there any tools better than Spyder?

Thanks for your help!

While calibration is always a good idea, it may be a loosing battle with a laptop. It's not recommended to do serious photo editing on a laptop, mainly because your viewing angle probably won't be consistent, which will likely affect how the display looks to you.

I use Spyder on my laptop, but will 100% agree that laptops suck for editing.

I'll recommend the eye-One Display 2 but there's no real appreciable differences between calibration systems. Some have trouble with wide gamut monitors which is not a problem if you're using a laptop.

Just have a quick look at this though, and note that on a laptop just because it's calibrated doesn't mean that what you're seeing is right.
http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/...-ips-display-vs-laptop-warning-lots-pics.html

I've used both the Spyder 3 and Huey Pro and for the money, I would say get the Huey Pro. It's significantly less expensive and the results are, at least to my eyes, identical.

I will be stepping up to the Color Munki here shortly as I'm buying a Epson printer and want to be able to calibrate it to my monitor. But for straight monitor calibration, the Huey Pro does a great job for $95 (vs. $150 for the least expensive Spyder 3 package).

My Spyder II package was less than $100.

Thanks for the replies - I really appreciate your help!! There must be a way to work around the laptop monitor issue... :scratch: Do any of you know offhand if I would have the same viewing issues if I connected my laptop to our television and calibrated that monitor? It has a flat screen. Would the calibration hardware/software work on that as well?

My Spyder II package was less than $100.
Does the Spyder 2 measure ambient light in the room during calibration? I was thinking only the Spyder 3 did. I guess I should look up the specs.

Thanks for the replies - I really appreciate your help!! There must be a way to work around the laptop monitor issue... :scratch: Do any of you know offhand if I would have the same viewing issues if I connected my laptop to our television and calibrated that monitor? It has a flat screen. Would the calibration hardware/software work on that as well?
I've never tried to calibrate a television. I guess it depends on the size of the pixels displayed on the TV.

So your television is actually a "monitor". I would think it would work.

My spyder II doesn't measure ambient, but that is not something I require.

No, its just a television, but I've connected my computer to it before - similar to how you would set up a dual-monitor system. It probably wouldn't hurt to give it a shot - worst case is I'd have to buy a second monitor to connect to my laptop. I was just hoping to find the lowest-cost solution possible for now. :) I had no idea about the laptop monitor issues until I read your responses this morning.

I use the Spyder 3 Pro and it works great. Highly recommended, although a bit more expensive than the alternatives.

My spyder II doesn't measure ambient, but that is not something I require.
The Huey Pro does measure ambient light. For me it makes a noticeable difference. I have two windows in my office at home and if I'm sitting in the room with sunlight vs. light bulb light vs. no light (night/lights out) the Huey automatically adjusts the monitor for me as the light changes.

I understand that fully Tharmsen, I just sit in the same dark room to do all my editing.

I went ahead and ordered the Spyder3 Pro. Thanks so much for all the great information and opinions!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back