Mono pod for HDR?

Nolan

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Im in the market for a mono pod for my D90. But i have a concern. Can mono pods be used for making HDR photos with out difficulty or negative results? This concern is simply because i haven't and idea how stable mono pods are.

Thanks for your responses!

Monopods limit movement in the vertical plane (up & down) only. They are more stable than just holding the camera/lens in your hands, but nowhere near as stable as a tripod because a tripod stands on it's own while you are still required to hold a monopod.

Software might be able to combine shots for HDR etc. from a monopod, but ideally, you should use a tripod for that type of stuff.

dont think its quite stable enough for an hdr, however, i did just pick up a manfrotto 680b monopod the other day and its fantastic. cant recommend it enough!

Ok thanks.
I was just considering the monopod because most of my subjects are in nature, so the less wight i have to haul in to the woods or mountains the better. Do know of any good light wight tripods between $150-$200 that would do the trick?

i've been told mono pods are good for "panning" shots but not really for getting multiple shots with different exposures cuz there's a high chance the camera will move from its original place.

You should be able to pick up a set of used Manfrotto 190 legs and a second-hand 488 ball head for that price.

i've been told mono pods are good for "panning" shots but not really for getting multiple shots with different exposures cuz there's a high chance the camera will move from its original place.

Indeed. It's easier with a tripod or monopod to just spin the camera in place and get consistent cylindrical distortion on the final pano; if done hand-holding, if you're in a tight space, things can get a little wacky. But as for HDR it really isn't helpful. You'll need to shoot wider and align the images later, and NO image alignment is ever quite bang-on.

Can't go wrong if you buy a monopod + a ball head with a pan trigger
as you can always just buy tripod legs, since you have a head already...
You dont need a head for monopods (it has a built in screw fix.) but it allows for more flexibility and height if you add a head to it

I have a manfrotto 680B with a 486RC2 Mini Ball head
I dont think the mini is a problem... just smaller
Next on the agender is Manfroto 190xProB legs possably

But to answer your question, Yes... Depending on the circumstances, If your shooting > 1/300 with a monopod, You should be good to go
even a little slower might do (Assuming your using Auto bracketing.)
But a tripod + wireless trigger is recommended.

Last edited:
I do lots of hiking and landscape shots with plenty of on the trail hand held HDR shots (AEB). - Its a 50/50 shot depending how how still I can hold.... The mono pod would be better then hand held but not better then a real tripod.

Should be fine, the program I use (photomatrix pro) helps align the pictures. I have made HDR by hand holding and they have come out just fine. I even had to lower the camera to change the setting and it came out great haha

I am sure it is better than handheld. If the shutter speed is fast enough and shooting wide angle, you maybe able to do so.

This one is a hand held shot with my body lean against a wall with deep breath.

3565089479_b5c6fdf402.jpg

But of course, tripod with remote shutter is better.

Most reactions

Back