Mono Pods where they don't allow tripods?

Eco

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Some places have rules about tripods, but would they allow monopods?

I've been to several places that have standing orders to shoot on sight if they see a photag with a tripod and in most cases I can understand. Do any of you have an issue bringing a mono pod to a public place like a museum without getting crap?

If so........how about the nice mono pods with the fold down feet at the bottom?

Today I tried to shoot an indoor butterfly garden and the lighting was horrible! If I shot at 2.8 with a high ISO it was okay....not great but when I opened it up I got operator error----motion in my images. I've had this a few times in the past and was wondering if the no tripod places are cool with mono pods.

A lot of times, you can visit the website and get that info. If not, call ahead and ask, also let them know you are coming to photograph.

Some places have rules about tripods, but would they allow monopods?

Yes.. because tripods can cause a hazardous situation in areas with high volume foot traffic. If someone trips over the tripod chances are the establishment can be held liable for damages. Monopods don't pose the same risk.

I've been to several places that have standing orders to shoot on sight if they see a photag with a tripod and in most cases I can understand. Do any of you have an issue bringing a mono pod to a public place like a museum without getting crap?

Each place is different, you need to contact them for more information.

If so........how about the nice mono pods wit h the fold down feet at the bottom?

I would surmise that they would be treated as monopods and allowed as well if monopods are also allowed. With that said, those types of monopods don't generally come close to the stability of a tripod.

As a tip, you should also inquire if there are times in which tripods are allowed. At some places I've been to, they will allow photographers with tripods during certain (low volume) times. In general, early morning before the main rush of visitors are expected.

I would guess they would however they workers probably won't notice the difference from a tripod and a monopod so will still stop you.

The main reason that tripods are banned are that they cause obstructions.
but just take a chance, the most they will do is ask you to go away / stop and you just say okay.

most workers don't care too much anyway.

Most reactions

Back