Monochrome man

Discussion in 'The Black & White Gallery' started by BananaRepublic, Aug 6, 2018.

1. BananaRepublic

BananaRepublic No longer a newbie, moving up!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    To both members: The colour picture is better and as a machine/gear - head I prefer it but from a more arty view point I was trying to do something else, I am just not practiced at B&W conversions. I would normally look for evening light for such photos but I just happen to come across this guy around 3 o clock one day. I only recently started using LR again and I was expecting to much from this set but its better experiment then delete sometimes.

2. BananaRepublic

BananaRepublic No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    The shooting method outlined is what I normally try to do. The narrative you have added is interesting and I will try to think of it in future.

Thanks

• Like Like x 1
  3. Derrel

Derrel Mr. Rain Cloud

Photos OK to edit
    I would most definitely try some of the color filter effects in Adobe Lightroom software, since they help to make much better black and white conversions. At times selecting the green or the red or the orange or the yellow filter effect can really make a black and white conversion pop!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Gary A.

Gary A. Been spending a lot of time on here!

I was taught there is little difference between photography and the written word. It is all about communication. Use lens and angles as adjectives. Fill the frame with the story/subject. Lighting and timing doesn’t always work in your favor. Look at the light separate from the subject. See the light.

• Useful Useful x 1
  5. unpopular

unpopular Been spending a lot of time on here!

Tell a *story*, convey an *idea*. So tired of the lighting gimmick. Anytime your subject is something other than light and people compliment "the light" the image fails.

"Good Light" can be, and often is, as as much a distraction as "bad light".

The main problem with this image is that it is literal, and, as Gary notes, lacks 'drama'.

You can light it, process it, fiddle in a million different ways, but at the end of the day, it's just a harvester being a harvester. It doesn't say anything about what a harvester intrinsically is, what it means to the individual, to society. It doesn't convey anything intrinsic about it's form, nor really it's function. There is no deconstruction here. It is just what it is.

Light, processing, contrast, color, black and white, all of that is to convey the *idea*. If there's nothing there other than the literal, then there's nothing else you can do to convey anything more than just the literal. This is why people prefer the color version, because it is the most absolute representation of the literal subject. We don't have to seek as deeply to inteprite what it is we're looking at.

This isn't to say it's a bad image, but in the context of being an image that stands as the art object, does not succeed.

• Like Like x 1