Monolight Flash Power

It says the shutter speed is set to 1/250th. I can't go above 1/200th with my canon. I guess I would just compensate for that with the aperture.

Danny
Shutter speed does not affect the exposure when it comes to strobes & flash.
At least not the strobed/flash portion of the exposure.

Shutter speed does control the ambient light exposure portion of an image made with strobed/flash lighting. Lens aperture and strobed/flash light power output control the strobed light exposure.

Shutter speed usually does not need to be considered for stopping motion when doing strobed light photography, because the short duration of the flash of light performs the motion stopping function.

If the camera's x-sync shutter speed is exceeded, strobed/flash light may capture one or both shutter curtains in the image frame leaving dark or black portions across the frame..

It says the shutter speed is set to 1/250th. I can't go above 1/200th with my canon. I guess I would just compensate for that with the aperture.

Danny

Shutter speed does control the ambient light exposure portion of an image made with strobed/flash lighting. Lens aperture and strobed/flash light power output control the strobed light exposure.

Shutter speed usually does not need to be considered for stopping motion when doing strobed light photography, because the short duration of the flash of light performs the motion stopping function.

If the camera's x-sync shutter speed is exceeded, strobed/flash light may capture one or both shutter curtains in the image frame leaving dark or black portions across the frame..

From what I've read and tried myself, shutter speed doesn't matter if the studio you're shooting is completely dark. I tried this by turning off all the lights in the studio and having my wife wave here arms around using a 3 second shutter. It pretty much froze her motion. I tried this with the lights on and it was completely blurred. It was pretty cool, but makes complete sense. The flash acts like a fast shutter. I'm not sure, but I think the flash lasts somewhere around 1/20,000th of a second. I'm sure this varies but I saw that number somewhere.

Danny

I don't think it's quite that fast/short...but yes, that's the general idea. The flash burst is so quick/short that it freezes the subject and the camera's shutter speed doesn't affect the flash exposure.

Of course, the shutter speed does affect the ambient exposure...and remember that every flash photo is actually (at least) two exposure. The flash exposure and the ambient exposure. You can try to balance them, but usually with studio lighting, you want to minimize the ambient and just use the strobe exposure. So yes, shooting in a dark studio can elliminate the ambient exposure...but you can also cut it quite a bit by using your max shutter speed of 1/200.

From what I've read and tried myself, shutter speed doesn't matter if the studio you're shooting is completely dark. I tried this by turning off all the lights in the studio and having my wife wave here arms around using a 3 second shutter. It pretty much froze her motion. I tried this with the lights on and it was completely blurred. It was pretty cool, but makes complete sense. The flash acts like a fast shutter. I'm not sure, but I think the flash lasts somewhere around 1/20,000th of a second. I'm sure this varies but I saw that number somewhere.

Danny

I can't see the flash duration being that quick, mine are quick at 1/2000

Danny

I can't see the flash duration being that quick, mine are quick at 1/2000

That's probably what it was. 1/2000th. Sorry about that.

has anyone told you that there is an override on the canon flashes. second to right button, shows a Lightning bolt and H I believe and that will allow your shutter speed to be faster than 1/200... i did that for my recent outdoor shoot with my youngin.... check it out..
aidencrawlingbest.jpg
if that doesn't show it's in my pics... the baby with the hat on in the grass crawling was shot at like 1/2000 or so at f/2.8 not that i needed to but i had same issue with blown out images outside..

Most reactions

New Topics

Back