Monopod with Sigma 150-600mm C lens

boss421a

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I recently purchased a Sigma 150-600 C lens to use for my sons' soccer games when I'm sitting in bleachers. Last season, I averaged between 1-2k photos per day (2 games) and this lens will be too heavy to handhold for that long. Has anyone used a monopod with this lens specifically for soccer games or other sports where you remain stationary? I'd like to get a decent one, but not one that will break the bank. Any advice on using a monopod would be appreciated also. Thanks!

I think your question is unnecessarily specific. There are other types of photography that use similar technique.

I've used a monopod more than a tripod. I have used them both with and without a ball head, and ended up using them without, I just tilt the camera forward/backward. This depends on distance. If you're nearer it's more difficult but can still be done with practice.

Unless weight or collapsed length is an issue, a cheap monopod isn't going to be much different than an expensive one. I have used a $20 Amazon special at the low end and ended up with a $60 Manfrotto that collapses to a very short length just for ease of carrying. None I've owned have ever performed any better than the another. Look for one with clamps (most of them) not screw knobs.

If I'm sitting in a chair, I set the monopod up for eye height with the leg on the chair seat, not the floor. The shorter extension lets you pick up the camera and use it handheld without whacking the people around you.

If you use the monopod not fully extended, choose to extend the thicker sections and leave the thin end sections collapsed.

I have a Neewer graphite tripod that in and of itself is very light, with the bonus that one of the legs can be removed to use as a monopod, with or without the ballhead attached. The entire setup is light enough that I can carry the tripod minus the monopod in a bag and not really notice the weight. A monopod can help, but it can also be a hindrance when photographing moving objects, whether its people or wildlife, because the monopod, even a light one, makes it more difficult to swing the lens around to catch a scene. That said, it still beats trying to hold a four pound lens for an extended time period.

A monopod can help, but it can also be a hindrance when photographing moving objects, whether its people or wildlife, because the monopod, even a light one, makes it more difficult to swing the lens around to catch a scene.
The hindrance is something I'm concerned about - but as I've been practicing with the lens during my boys' soccer practices, I know for sure that I'll need something to help support the weight. Thank you for your reply.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back